This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2353 / 51°14'7"N
Longitude: -2.7181 / 2°43'5"W
OS Eastings: 349960
OS Northings: 148704
OS Grid: ST499487
Mapcode National: GBR MK.2H5S
Mapcode Global: VH89Q.T6XV
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 22 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1178326
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268167
Location: Westbury, Mendip, Somerset, BA5
Civil Parish: Westbury
Built-Up Area: Westbury-sub-Mendip
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST44NE WESTBURY-SUB-MENDIP CP WELLS ROAD (South side)
9/154 Church of St Lawrence
Anglican Parish Church. C12, C13, C15; restored 1887 with rebuilt tower. Coursed and squared rubble and some ashlar,
freestone dressings, coped verges, cruciform finials, tile and lead sheeting roofs. Nave, chancel, south aisle, south
transept, south porch, north organ chamber with vestry, west tower. Perpendicular. Severe unbuttressed 2-stage tower,
2-light bell-chamber windows, polygonal stair turret, clock; embattled parapet with corner pinnacles, may be re-used
from earlier tower; west door opening incorporating earlier material. Three bay nave; blocked Norman north doorway,
very plain and not in its original state, detached polygonal shafts, cushion caps; 2 and 3-light windows. Three bay
aisle, buttresses, pierced parapet with trefoils in triangles, pinnacles, gargoyle; 3-light windows with elaborate
tracery, labels. Transept contiguous in a conforming style. Two-storeyed porch with a former upper chamber, diagonal
buttresses, pierced parapet, niche for former statue, now missing, moulded inner and outer door openings; inside
benched on tile floor, stoup, niche with canopy for former statue, now missing. Short single bay chancel, 2-light
Perpendicular window to south side, lancet to north side, late C13 east window of 2 lights with encircled quatrefoil in
plate tracery, foiled rere-arch. Plastered interior on tile and encaustic tile floors. Roofs appear all C19 on C13/C15
corbels carved as heads, wall shafts to outer wall of the aisle; some corbels may have been restored C19. Late Norman
tower arch of one order of columns, trumpet caps, one step arch. Three bay arcade to aisle, piers of 4 hollows
moulding; similar the arches to transept and chancel; C19 arch to organ chamber. C13 octagonal font. C13 piscina to
chancel. Perpendicular stone pulpit. Jacobean chest and chair. Late C19 pews, choir stalls, altar rails, brass lectern,
very large neo-Decorated reredos and organ. Earliest monument to George Rodnei (sic), obit 1587, forming a reredos to
transept, inscription plate in 4-centred arch, columns, entablature, no effigy. Wall monument dated 1615 behind organ;
C17 slab to floor; good pedimented wall monument to nave inscribed; "J Tuckey Wedmore Fecit 1779". Five principal C19
wall monuments by Bath and Bristol firms. Late C19 stained glass to east window. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, North
Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST4996048704
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings