History in Structure

Church of St Michael and All Angels

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kingstone, County of Herefordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.0167 / 52°1'0"N

Longitude: -2.8401 / 2°50'24"W

OS Eastings: 342443

OS Northings: 235701

OS Grid: SO424357

Mapcode National: GBR FF.H04Z

Mapcode Global: VH78B.QKDT

Plus Code: 9C4V2585+MX

Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels

Listing Date: 21 February 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1178447

English Heritage Legacy ID: 155079

ID on this website: 101178447

Location: St Michael and All Angels' Church, Kingstone, County of Herefordshire, HR2

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Kingstone

Built-Up Area: Kingstone

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Kingstone

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in



4/27 Church of St Michael
and All Angels


Parish church. C12 with C13 and C14 alterations and extensions, partly
rebuilt in mid-C18, restored 1842 and 1889. Sandstone rubble, sandstone
dressings, stone slate and tiled roofs. Nave, chancel, north-west tower,
north aisle, north chapel and south porch. West tower has three uninter-
rupted stages, restored embattled parapet with ball-flower cornice below,
top stage has 2-light ogeed bell-openings with quatrefoil tracery, second
stage has one central lancet to north and west faces, trefoil head one-light
window with label in ground floor stage of west side, north doorway (into
tower) has 2-centred head, label with head stops of a priest to left and a
king to right-hand side, door has elaborate strap hinges. North aisle has
two restored windows each of two trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil tracery.
North chapel has two early C13 lancets in the north wall and a 2-light window,
with trefoils and ogees to each head in the east wall. Chancel has restored
3-light C19 east window, the east window of the south wall is of one light
with a trefoiled head, the adjacent window to the west has two trefoil-headed
lights, between the last two windows is a plaque inscribed "1762". Nave has
two 2-light traceried windows each with trefoiled lights to left of the porch;
to the right of the porch is a similar but plainer window without tracery but
with a sun-dial incised beneath its label; west window has three stepped
lights with restored flowing tracery, the doorway beneath has a 2-centred
head and chamfered and moulded jambs. South porch is probably early C20
and timber-framed. South doorway is mid-C12, round head and projecting
chamfered imposts, the door with decorative strap hinges. Interior has
largely unrestored wagon roof to nave, possibly C14 or C15, which has
received a central suspended collar purlin and brattished wall-plates in
one of the restorations; chancel roof is similar but restored; north aisle
has restored-curved braced collar-truss roof with another central purlin;
north chapel has similar roof to the last but little restored. Three-bay
arcade separates nave from north aisle which is continued in two further
bays beyond the chancel arch to divide chancel from north chapel. Nave
arcade has double chamfered 2-centred arches, circular piers with trumpet
capitals and water-holding bases, the eastern pier beneath the chancel arch
has trefoiled decoration to its capital and a carved bust on the west side;
chancel arcade also has a carved bust on west side of central pier and east
respond. Chancel arch is double chamfered, supported on north side by
foliated capital and on south by two corbels, one beneath the other.
Tower arch is two centred with double chamfers, label and semi-octagonal
responds. Piscina in north chapel has chamfered 2-centred head and circular
drain. Recess in north wall of north aisle has chamfered 2-centred head,
probably for a tomb. Font has plain bulbous bowl of marble supported on
moulded stem. Chest possibly C13 about 8½ feet long, at east end of nave
and north aisle is a dug-out with two unequal lids, decorative reinforce-
ments and strap hinges. Several wall monuments including that for Richard
Russell, died 1717, on east side of south-east pier of tower in the form of
an aedicule; for John Parry, died 1689, consisting of a tapered slab with
foliated cross placed against north wall of north aisle; for Mary Parry,
died 1780, on north wall of north chapel, a Neo-Classical white oval plaque
with urn on a brown marble ground donated by Charles Morgan of Tredegor;
adjacent a monument to Thomas Parry, died 1774, by T Symonds of Hereford
for Mary Parry, relic; also by Symonds on north wall of chancel a monument
for Armclah Russell, 1773. Several floor slabs late C17 to early C19.
Communion table in north chapel is late C17 or early C18 with turned legs
and moulded rails. Stained glass in east window of chancel, late C19 for
Archdeacon Wetherall at the bequest of his widow depicts the Parable of
the Lost Sheep; east window of south wall shows St Michael; adjacent window
to west is of the Holy Family signed Alfred D Hemmiraq, 1894. Bell-ringing
platform finished 1985 has plaque alongside in tower commemorating "a peal
of 5040 doubles by the Hereford Diocesan Guild of Bell Ringers for the
wedding of HRH Princess Margaret and Mr Anthony Armstrong-Jones, Friday
May 6th 1960 in two hours fifty minutes"; also in tower water colour
perspective of proposed restoration with the caption:


(RCHM, Vol I, p 161 - 163).

Listing NGR: SO4244435699

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.