This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1666 / 53°9'59"N
Longitude: -0.8055 / 0°48'19"W
OS Eastings: 479949
OS Northings: 363938
OS Grid: SK799639
Mapcode National: GBR CKH.F60
Mapcode Global: WHFH3.LNMS
Plus Code: 9C5X558V+JQ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 11 August 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1178592
English Heritage Legacy ID: 242716
Location: Carlton-on-Trent, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG23
District: Newark and Sherwood
Civil Parish: Carlton-on-Trent
Built-Up Area: Carlton-on-Trent
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Carlton-on-Trent
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 76 SE CARLTON-ON-TRENT CHURCH STREET
4/13 Church of
11-8-61 St. Mary
Parish church. 1851. By G. G. Place. Incorporates C12 south
door. Early C14 revival style. Dressed stone with ashlar
dressings and slate roofs. Chamfered plinths and eaves, string
course, buttressed, coped gables, those to east and south with
crosses. All openings have hood moulds with uncarved stops.
West tower with spire, nave, north and south aisles, chancel,
vestry, south porch. West tower, 3 stages, has 4 string courses
and eaves band with 8 gargoyles, crenellated parapet and 8
crocketed pinnacles. Crocketed spire with 2 tiers of 4 gabled
lucarnes, finial and weathercock. First stage has, to west,
moulded doorway and to its right, stair light. Above, a double
lancet with chamfered and rebated reveal, and another stair
light. Second stage has, to west, a single lancet. Third stage
has 4 double lancets with rebated reveals. Nave clerestory, 3
bays, has on either side 3 round windows with quatrefoils. North
aisle has a single lancet in east and west ends. North side has
to east 2 lancets and to west, doorway. South aisle has a single
lancet in east and west ends. South side has, to east, 2
lancets. Chancel, 2 bays, has on north side a chimney, and to
west a double lancet with curvilinear tracery. East end has a 5-
light lancet with cusps and intrusive motif. South side has off-
centre priest's door, flanked by single triple lancets with spiky
intersecting tracery. Vestry to north of chancel, single bay,
has to north a single lancet. South porch has south door with
rebated and splayed reveal, chamfered and cove-moulded head.
Interior has wooden benches and common rafter roof with collars
and ashlar pieces. South doorway C12 with chamfered round head
and cove and roll moulded outer reveal with shafts with simple
moulded bases and capitals. Nave north and south arcades, 3
bays, have C14 style octagonal piers with moulded octagonal bases
and capitals, double chamfered and rebated arches with hood
moulds. Scissor braced pirncipal rafter roof with ashlar pieces.
Tower arch, very high, with double chamfered and rebated head,
octagonal responds with moulded capitals, and hood mould. Tower
chamber has to west, 2 windows with stained glass, C19. North
and south aisles have each 4 chamfered stone ribs and plain lean-
to roofs. South aisle has east window with stained glass C19,
and easternmost window on south side with stained glass, 1924.
Chancel arch, very tall, double chamfered and rebated with
painted text, hood mould and octagonal responds with moulded
capitals and bases. Chancel east end has elaborate glazed tile
reredos with flanking tile panels carrying Lord's Prayer and
Creed. Above, larger flanking tile panels with Commandments.
East window has foliate carved hood mould. All windowshave
stained glass, C19. Scissor braced roof with ashlar pieces.
Fittings include traceried panelled octagonal timber pulpit on
bracketed stem, eggcup font, C17, pierced desk-type lectern,
1936, plain and panelled chamfered benches throughout, 2 pierced
clergy desks, 2 carved-back C18 chairs, one dated 1726, chip-
carved C17 chest with legs, C19 font with octagonal bowl, base
and stem, with bracketed timber cover incorporating crocketed
finial. Monuments include Baroque style marble and alabaster war
memorial with colonettes, 1918, brass on marble panel, 1881,
brasses 1882, 1887 and 4 C20.
Listing NGR: SK7994963938
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings