This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.4179 / 55°25'4"N
Longitude: -1.7074 / 1°42'26"W
OS Eastings: 418619
OS Northings: 613814
OS Grid: NU186138
Mapcode National: GBR J5JS.4N
Mapcode Global: WHC1K.R24X
Entry Name: The Lion Bridge
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1178596
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235834
Location: Alnwick, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Alnwick
Built-Up Area: Alnwick
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Alnwick
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
1. THE PETH
The Lion Bridge
NU 1813 NE 2/112 10.1.55.
1775 by John Adam. Ashlar. Three arches and a smaller land arch. Polygonal look
outs on each side. Corbelled arcade to crenellated parapet. In the centre on
the east side stands the Percy Lion in cast lead. Matching it on the west side
was reputedly once a unicorn (symbolizing Scotland). Curved approach parapets
with close-set petrified stockade over a round section string and circular end
piers. Look outs have blind arrow slits with hood moulds; merlons in crenellations.
On the central die on the west side is roughly engraved "Foxy's Leap Au 12 1867"
(recording the escape of a militia man).
Spandrels of arches over river have circular panels containing blind shields.
The panel on which the lion stands has on tile river side, 3 long shields linked
by swags. (Scheduled AM 112.)
Listing NGR: NU1862113815
Other nearby listed buildings