History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bishop's Waltham, Hampshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.9558 / 50°57'21"N

Longitude: -1.2104 / 1°12'37"W

OS Eastings: 455558

OS Northings: 117675

OS Grid: SU555176

Mapcode National: GBR 98P.SZY

Mapcode Global: FRA 86CL.09R

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 6 March 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1179141

English Heritage Legacy ID: 146134

Location: Bishops Waltham, Winchester, Hampshire, SO32

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

Civil Parish: Bishops Waltham

Built-Up Area: Bishop's Waltham

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Bishop's Waltham St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Bishops Waltham

Listing Text

SU 55 17
9/7 Church of St. Peter

Parish Church. Building on earlier site by Henry de Blois 1136, chancel C15
(William of Wickham), south-west tower 1584, north aisle 1637, south aisle
1652, restorations of 1849 (west end of nave), 1868, and by Sir Thomas Jackson
of 1897 Walls of flint with stone dressings, also ashlar stonework (of stone
quarried from the ruins of the nearby Bishops Palace), some of chequer pattern
with flint, later walls of squared knapped flint. Tile roof, separate roofs to
the aisles. Nave with 4-bay arcade, aisleless chancel, tower at the west end
of the south aisle, a gallery to the extended nave and north aisle, south porch
(1613). The elevations of Perpendicular style have stepped buttresses, diagonal
at the east ends, windows of Perpendicular tracery and coupled lights in square
frames. The interior has a north arcade of c1200, resting on plain circular
shafts (1897) and a similar south arcade (1897) with round and octagonal columns,
chancel arch (Early English) of 1897. Norman (possibly Saxon) font, unearthed
1933 and returned to the church, fine panelled pulpit of 1626 (the gift of
Bishop Lancelot Andrewes) with matching C19 sounding board. Communion rail of
c1600 with turned rails, main west gallery of 1733 with panelled font supported
on thin cast-iron columns, a carved stone coat of arms of Thomas Longton (1493),
and decorative stone fragments from the Norman church. Wall monuments include
two hatchments, a Royal Coat of Arms of Charles II, small wall monuments to
Thomas Ashton (a bust in a classical frame) 1629 and Ann Cruys 1624, other monu-
ments to Mary Kerly 1716, Richard Biggs 1749, Jane Wright 1753, and several wall
monuments in the chancel of the C18 and early C19. The church is noted for its
post-reformation alterations, in a late-Perpendicular or Elizabethan Gothic style
with a classical plinth moulding to the south aisle, built during the interregnum.

Listing NGR: SU5546817576

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.