This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7106 / 51°42'37"N
Longitude: -0.9454 / 0°56'43"W
OS Eastings: 472963
OS Northings: 201839
OS Grid: SP729018
Mapcode National: GBR C2L.MSV
Mapcode Global: VHDVN.K8KJ
Plus Code: 9C3XP363+6R
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1180738
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249094
Location: Sydenham, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX39
Civil Parish: Sydenham
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Chinnor, Sydenham, Aston and Crowell
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
1706/12/80 Church of St Mary
Church. C13; restored 1850 by J. Billing of Reading with lengthening of nave, rebuilding of tower arches, replacement of tower, addition of north transept and vestry. Knapped flint with stone dressings; old plain-tile roof;
weatherboarded spire with a shingle roof. Nave and chancel with central tower.
C19 porch with 2-centred archway and doorway; C19 plank door. Lancet windows.
Pyramidal spire to right of centre with 2-light louvred opening to each side.
Rear; lancet windows to all openings. East end: 3-light intersecting tracery
window. West end: paired lancet. Interior: plaster vault to chancel; 2-centred
chancel arch. 2-centre crossing-arch. C15 4-bay hammerbeam nave roof with 2 rows of windbraces. 2-bay hammerbeam roof to transept and vestry; piscina to right of crossing-arch; plain round stone font, proabably C12 and decoration cut off. Set into north and south walls of chancel is the rare survival of wooden pulley wheels and corbels of Lenten Veil.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.810-2; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire,
Vol.VIII, 1964, p.125-6).
Listing NGR: SP7296301839
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings