This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1943 / 51°11'39"N
Longitude: -2.0163 / 2°0'58"W
OS Eastings: 398957
OS Northings: 143893
OS Grid: ST989438
Mapcode National: GBR 2WY.12J
Mapcode Global: VHB57.07FT
Entry Name: Chapel of St Mary
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Last Amended: 11 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1180966
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313500
Location: Chitterne, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Chitterne
Built-Up Area: Chitterne
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Salisbury Plain
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
CHITTERNE WARMINSTER ROAD
ST 94 SE
4/27 Chapel of St Mary (formerly listed as
Chancel of partly demolished church, now mortuary chapel. Circa
1450. Limestone and flint chequers, tiled roof with alternate
bands of plain or beaver tail tiles, coped verges. Chamfered
plinth. West wall is rubble stone with hollow-chamfered pointed
doorway, reset, planked door with strap hinges. South side has
blocked Tudor-arched doorway with flanking 2-light square-headed
window with Tudor-arched lights and hoodmoulds. Three-light
Perpendicular east window with pointed hoodmould, three late C18 or
early C19 wall tablets with pediments to Huntly and Wheeler
families. North side has two square-headed 2-light windows same
as on south side.
Interior: rendered walls, flagstone floors, plastered barrel-
vaulted ceiling. The font and pulpit from this church were moved
to Church of All Saints (q.v.) in 1860s when nave and tower
demolished, but some fittings retained. C15 crocketed ogee-arched
canopy in south east window, no longer with effigy. C17 communion
table. C19 communion rail. Fragments of late Medieval stained
glass, brought here from the demolished Medieval Church of All
Saints. Two memorial tablets on west wall; stone tablet with
floral drops and scrolled pediment with marble inscription panel to
Samuel Biggs died 1789, stone tablet with reeded pilasters and
moulded cornice to Ann Sanders died 1800. Following the
demolition of the larger part of this church in 1860s, the chancel
was retained as a mortuary chapel.
(Unpublished records of RCHM (E), Salisbury).
Listing NGR: ST9895743893
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings