This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3021 / 52°18'7"N
Longitude: 1.3664 / 1°21'59"E
OS Eastings: 629617
OS Northings: 272444
OS Grid: TM296724
Mapcode National: GBR WMQ.Q81
Mapcode Global: VHL9R.MDQK
Plus Code: 9F438928+RH
Entry Name: Church of All Saints'
Listing Date: 29 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1180967
English Heritage Legacy ID: 280172
Location: Laxfield, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP13
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Laxfield
Built-Up Area: Laxfield
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Laxfield All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
Tagged with: Church building
LAXFIELD THE STREET
TM 27 SE
9/52 Church of All Saints'
Parish church. Medieval; east bay of nave and whole of chancel rebuilt 1827.
Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Nave and porch of flint rubble, with
stone dressings; the tower is largely faced in dressed stone. 1827 work faced
in white brick except to north where there is random rubblework. Slated roofs.
Very fine late C15 tower in 4 stages, with polygonal clasping buttresses.
Good flushwork panelling to buttresses, the belfry stage and the whole of the
west face. Enriched west doorway with carved spandrels; above is a quatrefoil
frieze and a 4-light window flanked by canopied niches. 4-light belfry
openings. Crenellated parapet with stone panelling and tall pinnacles with
crocketted spirelets. Early C14 nave in 5 bays, the windows later replacements
in Perpendicular style except for one to north. Easternmost bay has C19 3-
light windows with intersecting Y-tracery. C15 porch, repaired in C18 with
red brick: knapped flint facade flanked by buttresses each containing a
canopied statue niche; entrance arch hung with shields, and with carved
shields in the spandrels. Remains of a vaulted roof. The porch was intended
to have an upper storey and is said to have been left incomplete. Small
chancel with later additions; a 3-light east window. Interior. The scissor-
braced trussed rafter nave roof spans 11m; the arched braces spring from posts
supported by short hammerbeams, at the end of which are carved heads. Coved
cornice. In south west angle of nave is the niche of a banner stave locker.
Fine octagonal font of c.1500, carved with the Seven Sacraments and the
Baptism of Christ. Tall 2-stepped base with traceried risers, the upper step
with raised sections forming a Maltese Cross. Nave seating comprises: (i) 4
fine poppyhead benches with carved ends and backs and mutilated arm-rests;
(ii) 13 poppyhead benches of 1622; (iii) C18 box pews incorporating re-used
C15 and C17 poppyhead benches and C16 and C17 panelling, much of it
elaborately carved; (iv) at the west end tiered boys' seats of early C19,
incorporating early C17 work. At the nave east end is a dado of re-used
panelling. Good C15 rood screen with traceried dado and ogee-arched traceried
divisions above. Early C17 carved pulpit and contemporary reading desk in
similar style. Arms of Anne over north door.
Listing NGR: TM2961772444
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings