This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6121 / 51°36'43"N
Longitude: -1.1548 / 1°9'17"W
OS Eastings: 458619
OS Northings: 190696
OS Grid: SU586906
Mapcode National: GBR 90T.WBX
Mapcode Global: VHCYG.XRV2
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 9 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1181603
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249193
Location: Brightwell-cum-Sotwell, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Brightwell-cum-Sotwell
Built-Up Area: Brightwell-cum-Sotwell
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Brightwell cum Sotwell
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BRIGHTWELL CUM SOTWELL THE STREET
SU5890 (North side)
6/35 Church of St. James
Church. c.1884 by S.R. Stevenson, re-using C14 roof structure. Squared coursed
stone with ashlar stone dressings; old plain-tile roof; wood shingles to spire.
Continuous nave and chancel with west bellcote. Plank door having wrought iron
hinges and open timber-framed porch with tinted leaded-lights to sides. 2
Perpendicular style single-light lancets to centre. Paired Perpendicular lancet
with hood mould to right. Left return: 3-light Perpendicular stone mullion
window with hood mould. Late C19 timber framing to gable end with roughcast
infill. Square louvred base to bellcote with splay-footed spire. Rear: C15
resited Perpendicular paired lancet window to left. C19 single lancet to centre
and paired lancet to right. C15 reset single lancet to centre with C19 head. C12
reset blind round-topped lancet to right. Part of C13 "penitents" doorway reset
to right. Right: 3-light rectilinear tracery window. Interior: C14 arched-braced
roof of 7 bays with 2 tiers of wind braces. C16 pulpit, formerly in the Church
of St. Mary-le-More, Wallingford. History: church rebuilt on old site in 1884.
Designed by S.R. Stevenson under the supervision of J. Oldrid Scott. The roof
was raised by leverage.
("St. James, Sotwell 1884-1984" guide book, 1984).
Listing NGR: SU5861990696
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings