This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.216 / 52°12'57"N
Longitude: 1.0249 / 1°1'29"E
OS Eastings: 606737
OS Northings: 261841
OS Grid: TM067618
Mapcode National: GBR TKS.1XR
Mapcode Global: VHKDH.QK5L
Entry Name: Old Newton Hall
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Last Amended: 15 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1181768
English Heritage Legacy ID: 280630
Location: Old Newton with Dagworth, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Old Newton with Dagworth
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Old Newton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
OLD NEWTON NEWTON HALL ROAD
TM 06 SE WITH DAGWORTH
5/147 Old Newton Hall
09/12/55 (formerly listed as
Newton Hall and Barn)
Farmhouse, formerly manor house; c.1600-1630 remodelling of late C16 core. 2
storeys. 3-cell lobby-entrance plan with important C17 rear additions.
Timber-framed, encased at front in late C19 gault brick, plastered at rear.
Plaintiled roofs; an axial late C16 chimney of narrow buff brick, almost
entirely rebuilt in C20 red brick. A C19 axial chimney of red brick to left.
To rear is a C17 chimney of red brick with shaped sunk panels in the shaft.
Late C19 sashes with stone lintels and large-pane sashes. An unusual early
C19 semi-circular entrance porch with moulded cornice and flat roof; 6-
panelled door and oblong fanlight. Rear features of early C17: two rear
wings, both with exceptionally deep overhangs at the gable. The wallplates
overhang by about a metre, supporting a moulded tiebeam with cage-type drop-
finials. Long console brackets support the wallplates. The narrow left-hand
wing has a splayed oriel with coved plaster soffit and an C18 window with
leaded glazing. The wider gable has a centre beam with similar treatment as
at the gable foot. There is evidence for a similar gable treatment at both
ends of the main range, removed by C19. A small chamber in the left hand wing
has exceptionally fine and complete joinery: full wainscotting, including two
doors with enriched pediments, a fire surround with marquetry strapwork and
clustered colonnettes. A frieze with strapwork motifs.
Listing NGR: TM0673761841
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings