This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7458 / 51°44'45"N
Longitude: -1.2847 / 1°17'4"W
OS Eastings: 449483
OS Northings: 205479
OS Grid: SP494054
Mapcode National: GBR 7XS.D1Q
Mapcode Global: VHCXT.PC6Z
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 9 February 1966
Last Amended: 24 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1182110
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249745
Location: North Hinksey, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX2
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: North Hinksey
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: North Hinksey with Botley
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
NORTH HINKSEY NORTH HINKSEY LANE
SP4905 (West side)
11/70 Church of St. Lawrence
09/02/66 (Formerly listed as St.
Lawrence's Church together
with churchyard cross)
Church. Early C12: early C13 tower, C13-C16 fenestration: chancel arch rebuilt
by John Macduff Derick in 1800's. Uncoursed limestone rubble with ashlar
dressings; gabled stone slate roof. Chancel and nave and west tower. C15
cinquefoil-headed east window: 2-bay chancel has early C16 four-light window and
C13 pointed lancet above Norman lancet to south, and restored C14 trefoil-headed
lancet and blocked C16 doorway to north. 2-bay nave: north wall has Norman
lancets flanking Norman doorway with voussoirs and quoining partly intact: south
wall has C15 three-light cinquefoil-headed window and unusual late C13
three-light window with lozenge tracery in triangular head, which flank C17
porch with chamfered oak frame and studded door: fine C12 south door with
zig-zag carving to roll-moulded arch set over columns of single order with
scalloped capitals. Interior: ancient triangular niche for piscina; late C17
communion table with C20 top; early C19 Gothic-style communion rail; C16
queen-post roof of 2 tiers with downward arch bracing from central stud to tie
beam, and C20 replacement of collars, purlins, windbraces and rafters. Chancel
arch and flanking arches built in Norman style by John Macduff Derick:
previously a more simple Norman arch and squint. Nave: studded door to rood
stairs, 2 early medieval aumbries, early C19 lectern and missal; C15 octagonal
font has finely-carved Decorated blind tracery; C20 organ loft and
pointed-chamfered arch at west end. Monuments: floor tablets in chancel to
Elizabeth Fynmore, c.1715, and William Fynmore, d.1757. Early C18 wall tablet to
William Finmere has heraldic cartouche and flanking swags set over
bolection-moulded fielded inscription panel. Baroque wall tablet, probably by
William Bird, to William Fynmore d.1646 and his son d.1673: heraldic achievement
and putti rest on oval panel with richly-carved surround. Stained glass: 1930
memorial east window. Late C19 glass in 2 chancel windows and east window of
nave: reset C15 fragments in west window. The unusual late C13 triangular-headed
window is similar to those at Cumnor (q.v.), Stanton, John and Theale.
(V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, p.407; Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.186;
Bodleian Library, M.S. Top, Berks, c.57, fol.119 and Def.a.119, Nos.16 and 17;
National Monuments Record).
Listing NGR: SP4948305479
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings