This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4171 / 51°25'1"N
Longitude: -1.7879 / 1°47'16"W
OS Eastings: 414843
OS Northings: 168693
OS Grid: SU148686
Mapcode National: GBR 4X5.4SP
Mapcode Global: VHB45.YNN1
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 27 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1182200
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311285
Location: Fyfield, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Fyfield
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
SU 16 NW FYFIELD -
9/33 Church of St. Nicholas
Anglican parish church, C13, C15 and restored 1849. Flint, with
interspersed limestone. Limestone ashlar west tower. Lead roofs
to nave, aisle and chancel tiled. Nave with mid C19 north aisle,
south porch and west tower. Simple chancel. Open timber gabled
porch on stone low walls. Two light nave windows with quatrefoil
heads. Lancets to chancel, probably a rebuild of an original early
C13 chancel with corbel table. South priest's door. West tower
of C15, of 2 stages with angle buttresses and 3-light west window
over square headed door. Two light bell openings. Crenellated
parapet with pinnacles. Chancel has heavy pilaster buttresses
with pyramidal tops.
Interior: Nave has north arcade of 2 bays, double chamfered arches
on an octagonal column, probably a replacement of C15 original.
C15 roof of 4 bays with shallow pitched tie beams trusses infilled
with swirling mouchettes, carrying moulded purlins and ridge.
Tower arch with square imposts and tall arch, the intrados
panelled. Nineteenth century chancel arch leading to a 2-bay
chancel, C13 but much restored in C19. Shafts with water-holding
mouldings to bases and stiff-leaf capitals in east corners, also a
C13 capital built in as shelf. Pretty internal columned rere-
arches to triple east lancets. East wall has moulded tiling below
Fittings: All C19, the joinery boldly moulded with some carving.
Font: limestone, C12 form with narrow intersecting arches on bowl.
Pulpit has trefoiled panels with relief Christ and saints. Two
sided reader's desk, and sanctuary rail. C19 screen to tower has
C17 Flemish (?) panels with the Annunciation, Nativity, the Bearing
of the Cross, and the Betrayal/Denial. Monuments: In nave, a
wall tablet, late C18. Various marbles. Triangular top with
urn, arms on apron lost. To James Shipton, died 1793, wife and
daughter added later. Under tower, 3 wall tablets. South wall,
early C18, various marbles. Panel with flanking pilasters,
cornice with painted arms. To Edmund and Ann Fitz James, died
1716. North wall: C18 white marble on grey, panel with cornice
and apron, to Nicholas Dymore, died 1804, and another, similar, not
Listing NGR: SU1484368693
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings