This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3158 / 51°18'56"N
Longitude: -1.9034 / 1°54'12"W
OS Eastings: 406830
OS Northings: 157412
OS Grid: SU068574
Mapcode National: GBR 3WV.KKW
Mapcode Global: VHB4P.Y6M4
Plus Code: 9C3W838W+8M
Entry Name: Conock Manor
Listing Date: 19 March 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1182202
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311959
Location: Chirton, Wiltshire, SN10
Civil Parish: Chirton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Chirton and Patney St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 05 NE
3/55 Conock Manor
Manor house, c.1700, possibly late C18, and 1817 by Richad Ingleman
of Southwell (Notts), altered c.1930. Limestone ashlar with slate
roofs. Two storeys, cellars and attics, main house of 5 x 3 bays
with screen wall both sides. Central 6-panelled door with fanlight
within portico of fluted Ionic columns supporting a half-round
entablature, originally designed with leaded half dome roof.
Central bay slightly set forward with pediment with central raised
panel. Twelve-paned margin glazed sashes, those to ground floor
with intersecting glazing bars (1817), all with moulded
architraves. Fluted giant pilasters at ends, from first build,
with stylised feather caps. Acanthus frieze. Screen walls have
central blind arch-headed windows and flanking paired smaller
pilasters with marked entasis. Roof hipped, with 3 dormers, and 2
on return elevations. Rear elevation has central door with
scrolled broken pediment, probably original front door of c.1700.
Wings behind screen walls contain, on right, a library of 1817,
extended c.1930, and on left, dining room extended by brick bow
window in c.1930.
Internally, altered c.1930 when corridor from central corridor
removed to form long saloon. Good C18 fireplaces of varied
marbles, imported c.1930. Library has rectangular saucer vault,
lightly coffered, and extended by square bay with matching ceiling
c.1930. Stair C18, with good balusters, and dentilled cornice.
Central moulded plaster arms of Gifford Warriner, died 1820).
(V.C.H. X. p.65; Country Life, June 29. 1951; Pevsner, Buildings of
England: Wiltshire, 173-4).
Listing NGR: SU0683057412
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings