This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.69 / 51°41'23"N
Longitude: -1.4597 / 1°27'34"W
OS Eastings: 437444
OS Northings: 199163
OS Grid: SU374991
Mapcode National: GBR 6WS.XDW
Mapcode Global: VHC0G.NS5B
Plus Code: 9C3WMGQR+X4
Entry Name: Hinton Manor
Listing Date: 10 November 1952
Last Amended: 15 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1182212
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250940
Location: Hinton Waldrist, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7
Civil Parish: Hinton Waldrist
Built-Up Area: Hinton Waldrist
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Hinton Waldrist
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
3/110 Hinton Manor
10/11/52 (Formerly listed as The Manor
Manor House, now house. Late C16; refronted and block to rear right added c.1700
by John Loder; c.1830 wing to left heightened c,1860 and c.1830 orangery to
right of front. Roughcast, limestone ashlar dressings; stone slate roof; stone
stacks. Double-depth plan to main late C16 block. 2 storeys and attic; 5-bay.
Consoles to moulded flat hood over C20 door. Flat keyed arches and ashlar quoins
to mid C18 sashes, late Clb one-light cavetto-moulded windows to basement.
Moulded cornice. Two gabled dormers flank central dormer with segmental head.
M-shaped roof; gable end external stacks. 2-storey, 2-bay extension to left, was
built c.1830 as one-storey extension with Gothic crenellated parapet, but extra
storey added c.1860; roughcast with gabled Welsh slate roof, rear lateral
external stack; sashes to front and to canted bay on left side wall; Crenellated
parapet adorned orangery of c.1830 to right, with keyed semi-circular arches
over windows and gabled glass roof. Right side wall of late C16 block has 2
early C18 sashes, 2 late Cl6 two-light cavetto-moulded stone cross-windows to
first floor and similar late Cl6 one-light windows to attic. One-storey block to
left side wall has C18 lateral external stack. Early C18 block to rear right: 2
storeys, 4 x 2 bays, roughcast with gabled stone slate roof and stone ashlar
gable end stacks. Garden front has keyed stone moulded architraves to early C18
stair-light sash to right, and to left, early C18 sashes symmetrically ordered
with central doorway having segmental pediment with broken entablature and
frieze carving of putti holding wreath; one-storey, one-bay roughcast block to
right, beneath stairlight, has similar blind doorway with tympanum carving.
Interior: C18 panelled shutters, 3- and 6-panelled doors. Hall had late Cl6
moulded fireplace with urn stops. To rear left of hall are dog-leg with landing
stairs with turned balusters on closed string; keyed semi-circular arch over
doorway to hall. Bolection-moulded panelling and early C18 fireplace to room
left of hall. Late C16 room to rear of hall has quartered and moulded beams,
moulded fireplace with urn stops; early C18 bolection-moulded panelling to
inserted passage to left leading to rear right early C18 block, which has C20
stairs in original position to left and early C18 dining roam to right with
plaster friezes over doors and windows and pedimented main door to rear. To rear
left, in rear wall of late C16 block, is probably reset C14 chamfered pointed
doorway. First floor: early C18 bolection-mouled panelling and fireplace over
hall; late Cl6 chamfered fireplace to left. Similar panelled rooms to rear of
late Cl6 block, with fine rococo fireplace to left and late C16 carved panels
and overmantle dated 1662 to right fireplace. Early C18 fireplace to rear right
block. Late Cl6 block has collar-truss roof with butt purlins.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.155; N. Davenport, The Honour of St. Valery,
Listing NGR: SU3744499163
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings