This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5995 / 51°35'58"N
Longitude: -1.1248 / 1°7'29"W
OS Eastings: 460712
OS Northings: 189327
OS Grid: SU607893
Mapcode National: GBR 911.QFN
Mapcode Global: VHCYP.G264
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Le More
Listing Date: 9 December 1949
Last Amended: 9 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1182404
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249278
Location: Wallingford, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Wallingford
Built-Up Area: Wallingford
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
WALLINGFORD MARKET PLACE
SU6089SE (South side)
11/115 Church of St. Mary-le-More
09/12/49 (Formerly listed as Parish
Church of St. Mary)
Church. Tower of c.1653, church of 1854 by David Brandon, with C20 restoration.
napped flint with stone dressings; flint and stone mixture with stone dressing
to tower; C20 plain-tile roof. 3-bay nave, 4-bay aisles, 3-bay chancel and west
tower. Early English-style. Plank door to 2-centred arched doorway with gabled
porch to left of centre of north aisle. 2-centre arched doorway to right of
chancel with plank door. Geometrical tracery windows to all openings except
3-light intersecting tracery window to left and end of north aisle. Tower has
octagonal corner turrets with C20 fibreglass replacement pinnacles.
Perpendicular 2-light stone mullioned louvred opening to each side of top of
tower, that to north obscured by clock face. Battlemented parapet. C20 refaced
stone stair turret to rear. Interior: C19 marble reredos and sanctuary area with
Salviati mosaic bands. Piscina and sedilia to right of chancel. Arch-braced roof
to chancel. Early C20 Perpendicular-style wood rood screen with painted carved
figures. Arch-braced roof to nave with 4-light dormers forming clerestory. Arch
braced roofs to aisles. Pulpit c.1888 of grey-veined white marble with bronze
panels of saints by Onslow Ford.
(V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.III, 1923, p.539; Buildings of England: Berkshire, 1966,
Listing NGR: SU6071289327
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings