This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.329 / 52°19'44"N
Longitude: 0.9488 / 0°56'55"E
OS Eastings: 601030
OS Northings: 274191
OS Grid: TM010741
Mapcode National: GBR SGT.SVV
Mapcode Global: VHKCW.DQGG
Plus Code: 9F428WHX+HG
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 15 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1182475
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281846
Location: Wattisfield, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP22
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Wattisfield
Built-Up Area: Wattisfield
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Wattisfield St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 07 SW WATTISFIELD THE STREET (EAST SIDE)
3/101 Church of St Margaret
Parish church. Some earlier fragments, but mainly C15; C19 restored. Random
flint, but some sections on the south side more carefully coursed; freestone
dressings; old plaintiles to nave and porch roofs, slates with remains of
decorated ridge tiles to chancel. Nave, chancel, north and south porches,
west tower. Stepped buttresses, faced with freestone and panels of black
knapped flint, to the north and south walls; diagonal buttresses to the east
end of chancel. 2 3-light and one 2-light window to north side of nave, one
2-light and one 3-light to south side, all in Perpendicular style with
traceried heads, partly restored. 2 2-light similar windows to north and
south of chancel, and a 3-light east window with central embattled transome
infilled with 6 stained glass panels, inserted in 1864 as a memorial to the
Rev. William Hepworth (1759-1841), curate of Wattisfield for 48 years.
Pointed priest's door on north, ogee-moulded, continuous arch. C14 timber
north porch: entrance arch with ovolo-moulding, rebated and pintle-hinged for
a door; substantial rafter roof with later bracing; side walls with an upper
row of closely-set chamfered Jacobean mullions, originally forming an open
balustrade, now boarded externally. Cusped timber arch above the north door,
which has a C14 pointed continuous arch with ¼-round mouldings and drip-mould.
C15 south porch, now used as a vestry: faced in black knapped flint mixed with
small rubble stone blocks; diagonal buttresses with remains of flushwork
panels, including the crowned MR monogram and a wheel; continuous entrance
arch with flushwork panels to each side. Top of walls and gable rebuilt in
Tudor red brick: the apex bears a much-damaged shield in brickwork with the
arms of de la Pole, and a sundial, and is topped by an ornate cross. Similar
crosses at the east end and above the chancel arch. Small unbuttressed west
tower in 3 stages divided by string courses. Flushwork base with a trefoil
arcade. A 2-light traceried window to each face of the top stage; different
2-light windows to the 2 lower stages on the west; 2 tiny slit windows and a
quatrefoil for the internal stair on the south side; plain crenellated
parapet. Interior much restored in 1872. Chancel, with renewed roof, has a
large C15 rectangular piscina in the south wall with ogee-moulded surround and
a C19 cusped ogee arch. Various wall memorials; mid C19 black ledger slab on
floor to the Rev. William Hepworth, his wife and son. C15 chancel arch.
Complete rood stairs in south wall of nave. Fine octagonal Perpendicular
font: panelled tracery to each face of the wide stem, blank shields to the
faces of the bowl. Ornate octagonal Jacobean font cover, the ribs carved with
scrolls and beaked bird or dragon heads, a ball and spike finial on top.
Plain medieval rafter roof with scissor-bracing. Some sections of the
medieval chancel arch screen are incorporated in the prayer desk and lectern.
Early C14 tower arch.
Listing NGR: TM0103074191
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings