This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8374 / 51°50'14"N
Longitude: -1.5728 / 1°34'22"W
OS Eastings: 429527
OS Northings: 215510
OS Grid: SP295155
Mapcode National: GBR 5SK.R5D
Mapcode Global: VHBZT.P2CR
Plus Code: 9C3WRCPG+XV
Entry Name: Langley Farmhouse
Listing Date: 19 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1182682
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251754
Location: Leafield, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29
Civil Parish: Leafield
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Shipton-under-Wychwood
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 21 NE
3/43 Langley Farmhouse
Fragmentary royal hunting lodge. Partly circa 1478 and partly C18, largely remodel-
led 1858. Rubble stone with Cotswold stone roofs. Rectangular main range with
lower L-plan (1858) extension to south-east. Tudor and free Tudor style. The east
(entrance) front is 2½ storeys with gabled porch and half-glazed door; the main
interest is two reset panels with HE (Henry VII Tudor and Elizabeth of York) and,
now mostly broken, entwined roses between the floors. The main (south) range is in
3 parts with a definite break roughly left of centre and a less evident break where
the gabled extension to the right is. One range of moulded arch stair lights to
left (and a further one in return gable) and a shallow 2-storey angled bay with
2-light mullion windows with moulded arch heads and ferramenta. To right of this,
ie to right of the emphatic break, are 3 windows, somewhat irregular, cross mullion
type with C20 casements, some have the keyed lintels and reveals of the 1858 work,
but 2 on first floor to left retain early C18 appearance. The right-hand 1858 part
breaks forward and has mouldings to cross-mullion windows. The rear is
irregular partly 3-storeyed and with a heavy partly moulded wall-plate.
Interior: the west bay is of great interest. On the ground and first floors there
are 2 doorways into the east wall; it is divided into two, the south part being for
a (? redesigned) staircase whose main feature is "HE" (Henry VII Tudor and Elizabeth
of York) with entwined roses in the soffit of the oriel bay window; the north part
which is entered from arched doorways off the stairs, has a room on each floor; on
the first floor with a high moulded cornice presumably of the late C15.
This building is sited in a complex of earthworks which suggest that it is only a
small part of a range stretching north-south. In the C15 the manor had belonged to
the Nevilles; it passed to the Crown in 1478 and much building was carried out by
Henry VII; the Court resided there as late as 1614.
Associated earthworks are AM Oxon 122.
M Groves: The History of Shipton-under-Wychwood (1934).
Listing NGR: SP2952715510
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.