This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9717 / 51°58'18"N
Longitude: 1.3411 / 1°20'27"E
OS Eastings: 629584
OS Northings: 235634
OS Grid: TM295356
Mapcode National: GBR WRR.9W5
Mapcode Global: VHLC9.6PBV
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 21 June 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1182887
English Heritage Legacy ID: 286262
Location: Felixstowe, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP11
District: Suffolk Coastal
Civil Parish: Felixstowe
Built-Up Area: Felixstowe
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Walton St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
FELIXSTOWE HIGH STREET, WALTON
TM 2935 NE
6/19 Church of St Mary
Parish church. C14 origins, altered and extended 1857-1899. South west tower, nave
south aisle, chancel, north-transept, south vestry. Septaria brick, flint,
stone dressings, tile roofs. Tower rebuilt 1899 in perpendicular style. 3
stages, the lower 2 of uncoursed flint, the upper stage flushwork panels.
Angle buttresses to 2nd stage. South doorway of multiple mouldings. Corner
turrets to upper stage. Nave, mostly C14, south aisle c1860 on site of earlier
aisle. North wall septaria, west wall and aisle uncoursed flint. North wall
2 C19 windows in Decorated style. 2 blocked original openings. West window
C19 in C14 style. 3-bay south aisle of 2-light windows in C14 style. Chancel.
South wall C14 of septaria, brick, tile. East wall rebuilt 1866 with C14 style
window. North wall and transept, brick. South wall has C14 priest's doorway,
beneath hood mould with figure stops. INTERIOR: 3 bay south arcade of octagonal
piers. 8 bays of queen post roof supported on cambered tie beams. Some
original collars and original purlins and rafters. All obscured by C19
plastered ceiling but supported by visible 2 bay structure. Rebuilt west end
of nave has C19 scissor braced roof. South aisle C19 queen strut roof.
Chancel. Blocked C19 doorway in south wall. C19 hammer beam roof. Dado of
C15 screen with blank traceried panels. Font mid C15 octagonal East Anglian
type, the stem flanked by 2 lions and 2 woodwoses, supporting bowl of alter-
nating panels of lions and angels, and with angels bearing shields on underside.
Bell c1500 'Sancte Johannes ora pro Nobis'. Purbeck memorial slab and brasses
of William, died 1459, and Alice Taberd, (brasses reset in south wall.) Brass
memorial to Willaim Symond born 1601, died 1612, with kneeling effigy and
Septaria buttress of earlier church tower stands to south west of present tower.
Listing NGR: TM2958435634
Other nearby listed buildings