This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6007 / 51°36'2"N
Longitude: -1.1216 / 1°7'17"W
OS Eastings: 460934
OS Northings: 189458
OS Grid: SU609894
Mapcode National: GBR 911.R6N
Mapcode Global: VHCYP.H1X7
Plus Code: 9C3WJV2H+79
Entry Name: Church of St. Peter
Listing Date: 9 December 1949
Last Amended: 9 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1182891
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249326
Location: Wallingford, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
Civil Parish: Wallingford
Built-Up Area: Wallingford
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/05/2020
THAMES STREET (East side)
Church of St. Peter
(Formerly listed as St. Peter's Church)
Church, now redundant. Started 1763, contractors William Toovey and Joseph Tuckwell; 1767 paved, pewed and stuccoed under supervision of Sir Robert Taylor; spire added to Sir Robert Taylor's design in 1776-1777; chancel added 1904 by Sydney Stephenson.
Flint plinth to nave; ashlar stone to nave and chancel; knapped flint with stone quoins and bands to tower; old plain-tile roof to chancel; Welsh slate roof to nave; stone open-work spire. four-bay nave, apsidal chancel and west tower. Classical style with Gothic spire and Gothic Revival apse.
Six-panel double door with fanlight to round-topped doorway with damaged moulded stone surround to west face of tower. Four round-arched windows with damaged keystones and imposts blocks to each side of nave, Quoins to end of nave. Shaped cornice and plain parapet to eaves of nave. Early C20 reticulated tracery windows to apse. Early C20 rose window to north side of apse. Three-light Y-tracery window above west door. Panel inscribed "This church was finished A.D. MDCCLXIX, The Spire A.D. MDCCLXXVII". Clock face to each side of top of tower, except to north. Open-work stone Gothick spire.
Interior: shallow segmental-arched coffered ceiling to nave. Late C18 font and pews. Stained glass to east window by Morris and Co. of 1918. External wall monument to Sir William Blackstone and family on south side of nave to right. Gothic-arched surround with three armorial shields to base and inscribed panel above.
History: church replaced one destroyed during siege of Wallingford in 1646. Sir William Blackstone took a keen interest in the building of the tower and spire and paid for the southern clock face which could be visible from his house, Castle Priory (now Castle Priory College, q.v.).
Listing NGR: SU6093489458
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings