This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9634 / 50°57'48"N
Longitude: 0.1843 / 0°11'3"E
OS Eastings: 553482
OS Northings: 120485
OS Grid: TQ534204
Mapcode National: GBR MRS.KDV
Mapcode Global: FRA C68K.PLN
Plus Code: 9F22X57M+8P
Entry Name: Possingworth Manor
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Last Amended: 26 January 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183094
English Heritage Legacy ID: 295581
Location: Heathfield and Waldron, Wealden, East Sussex, TN22
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Heathfield and Waldron
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Waldron All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
Old Possingworth Manor
the address shall be amended to read
as Old Possingworth
Old Possingworth Manor
TQ 52 SW 2/831 13.10.52
This house has the character of an early C17 building but over the doorway
is the date 1657 and the initials T. O. It was apparently built at that
date by Thomas Offley. Only the north half of the building is original.
The south half was demolished and later rebuilt in 1921 as a replica of the
original portion. It has now weathered so well that it tones excellently
with the old. Ashlar. Tiled roof. Two storeys and attic. Five windows.
Casement windows with stone mullions. The main front faces east. Central
porch (which is the southern limit of the original portion) with 2 storeys
over surmounted by a gable with kneelers and ball finials to these and at
the apex of the gable. Stone doorway in the porch with projecting cornice
over, the date 1657 and the initials T. O. also old wooden door. Gable at
each end of the front containing attic window with ball finial over. Between
these and central gable is a dormer on each side with similar ball finials
above the apex and angles. The west front has 2 original and one modern
projections surmounted by gables with ball finials above apex and angles
and similar gables between. Rainwater head dated 1620 on part of the offices.
Listing NGR: TQ5348220485
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings