This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4009 / 52°24'3"N
Longitude: 1.5881 / 1°35'17"E
OS Eastings: 644179
OS Northings: 284161
OS Grid: TM441841
Mapcode National: GBR YVK.DB7
Mapcode Global: VHM6R.GXXB
Plus Code: 9F43CH2Q+96
Entry Name: Shadingfield Hall
Listing Date: 1 September 1953
Last Amended: 15 May 2009
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183102
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281988
Location: Shadingfield, East Suffolk, Suffolk, NR34
Civil Parish: Shadingfield
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Shadingfield St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
1062/3/29 Shadingfield Hall
(Formerly listed as:
Country House, built between 1806 and 1808 for Thomas Charles Scott.
The hall is constructed of white brick with stone dressings and has a hipped slate-covered roof with overhanging eaves.
The house is rectangular in plan, of five bays at the north and south elevations and three at the east and west.
The building is of three storeys and has a symmetrical façade. There are stone bands at first and second floor levels and a paired bracketed eaves cornice. The windows are inset under flat brick arches and are six-over-six sashes with slender glazing bars at ground and first floor and three-over-three sashes on the second floor. The doorway is set within a semi-circular arched recess enclosing the first floor window which is segmental-headed. The wooden glazed door is of the late C20 and has a rectangular fanlight with diagonal glazing bars and a later fluted architrave with corner roundels. The portico is late C20. The doorway is approached by a flight of three stone steps. The side elevations are of three bays each, the ground floor openings set within semi-circular arched recesses. There are two dummy windows on the third floor at the rear and another on the east elevation.
There is an oval well staircase with stick balusters, a wreathed handrail and carved ends to the treads. There are also chamfered bridging beams, possibly of a C17 date which may be reused from the original hall.
Having purchased the estate at the end of the C18, Thomas Charles Scott built the house between 1806 and 1808 behind the site of the C17 hall which he demolished. In 1836, he was succeeded by his son Rev T C Scott who lived on at the hall whilst he was Rector of Shadingfield until 1897. The hall was bought by the Sotterly estate in 1933 and sub-divided into three units but was left vacant from the 1960s until it was reinstated as a single dwelling in 1987. A portico was added in 1992.
Mann, E (ed) 1930, 'An Englishman At Home and Abroad 1792-1828' Murrow and Co.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION
Shadingfield Hall is designated in grade II for the following principal reasons.
* It is a country house of 1806-1808 with an elegant classical design.
* It has a largely intact exterior.
* It has a contemporary staircase of note.
LISTING NGR TM4417884161
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings