This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6435 / 51°38'36"N
Longitude: -1.8549 / 1°51'17"W
OS Eastings: 410134
OS Northings: 193863
OS Grid: SU101938
Mapcode National: GBR 3RV.ZT9
Mapcode Global: VHB2Z.SYQH
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 17 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183154
English Heritage Legacy ID: 317795
Location: Cricklade, Wiltshire, SN6
Civil Parish: Cricklade
Built-Up Area: Cricklade
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Cricklade
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
SU 19 SW CRICKLADE HIGH STREET
13/145 Church of St. Mary
Former Anglican parish church of Cricklade St. Mary, now Roman
Catholic parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C19. Limestone
rubble. Stone slate roof. It comprises a nave, north and south
aisles, chancel and west tower, with north chapel to chancel.
Aisles have wide C19 three-light cinquefoil windows with labels.
Chancel 2-light plate tracery, also C19. No clerestorey but two 3-
light gabled dormers on south. chapel is C13 with mid C14 three-
light cinquefoil window and angle buttress. Open south porch.
Clock of 1863 on east gable of nave and sundial dated 1822 replaces
earlier on south chancel wall.
Interior: Nave of 3 bays, C12 with chevroned and cable moulded
chancel arch, on scalloped caps, and C13-C14 three-bay arcades of
4-centred arches on octagonal columns. Simple chamfered tower arch
to C13 tower, the chamfers with small trefoiled gable stops. Open
C19 timber roof. Chancel C14 rework of Romanesque chancel
extending it to east. Nave moulded arch on north to chapel, now
organ chamber. Squints to aisles. C19 roof. East window 1862-3
by Galpin of Oxford.
Fittings: Font: C13 inverted column base on possible Roman capital
as base, reset in C19. Pulpit: Mid C17 half-octagon oak with
arcaded panelling. Altar table 1627 with stretchers between turned
legs and carved fasciae. Organ by A.E. Pease of London. Other
fittings C19. Furnishings, C18 brass candelabra and oak document
chest. Church was further restored in 1908 and 1963-4 before
redundancy in 1981. Parish amalgamated with St. Sampson's 1952.
Excavations of 1964 suggest that the north chapel walls are founded
on Anglo-Saxon work associated with the town wall. (Thomson &
Taylor in W.A.M 60 (1965), 75 and 61 (1966) 38.f.)
Listing NGR: SU1012893865
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings