This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1498 / 51°8'59"N
Longitude: -1.8099 / 1°48'35"W
OS Eastings: 413391
OS Northings: 138962
OS Grid: SU133389
Mapcode National: GBR 507.Z2Z
Mapcode Global: VHB5J.LC1F
Entry Name: Lake House
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183238
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321519
Location: Wilsford cum Lake, Wiltshire, SP4
Civil Parish: Wilsford cum Lake
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Woodford Valley with Archers Gate
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
WILSFORD CUM LAKE LAKE
SU 13 NW
8/203 Lake House
House, 1578 for George Duke, clothier, restored 1898 by Detmar Blow
in consultation with Philip Webb, complete reconstruction of
interior 1912 after fire, also by Blow, and additions 1933 by Darcy
Braddell. Chilmark limestone and flint chequerwork (1578) and
tiled roof. Two storeys, attic and cellars. 'L'-plan augmented
in C20. Symmetrical main west front of 5 bays, each bay gabled.
Central two-storey crenellated porch with round-arched door and
geometric strapwork pilasters. Three-light ovolo moulded
mullioned and transomed window to first floor. Applied arms of
Duke family. Flanking bays 2 and 4 have similar windows. Outer
bays 1 and 5 have 2-storey square bays with chamfered angles, and
similar windows. Two-light attic windows in gables with label
hoods. All glazing leaded, C20. Panelled main door and ironwork
bell pull, foot scrapers etc. String courses at heads of windows.
Return elevation on north has 4 bays. Large mullioned and
transomed windows and gables, and large part-external stacks
carrying diagonal shafts. Various C20 extensions on north and
east corner. On south-west corner, dining hall added 1933 by
Darcy Braddell. Two bays, with lateral part-external stack and
twinned octagonal shafts. Canted tall bay window to east. On
north side of house, a long single storey rendered brick stable
wing forms curved enclosure to service yard. Clock tower.
Interior: Plan altered and wholly refitted after 1912 and supplied
with appropriate late C16 and C17 chimneypieces and panelling. To
left of entrance hall, sitting room has stone fireplace dated 1658
and carved overmantel. C17 panelling and short stair to higher
level of rear wing. Dentilled cornice. Drawing room right of
entrance. C18 panelling. Yellow marble bolection moulded
fireplace. Axial display cabinet with shell hood. Stair to rear
of hall, on left, 1912 by Blow, limed pine, with open well and
columns on first floor. Turned balustrade, with wyvern headed
newels, and dado panelling. On first floor, main bedroom
panelled, with chimneypiece. Bathroom panelled in Italian marble,
original WC and bath of 1935. Kings Room (for King Alphonso of
Spain) has panelling and stone fireplace with carved overmantel.
Dining hall of 1933 has spectacular chimneypiece of stone carved
with relief St George and dragon C17, panelling and carved frieze
dated 1633, to which Bailey family initials added, and plaster
ceiling from a London livery company.
The house was the residence of Rev. Edward Duke, archaeologist and
colleague of Colt Hoare.
(Pevsner: Buildings of England: Wiltshire; Country Life: Feb 8th
1908 and March 1937; Architectural Review: V. 171 (1899)
Listing NGR: SU1338838959
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings