This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5883 / 51°35'17"N
Longitude: -1.4287 / 1°25'43"W
OS Eastings: 439678
OS Northings: 187868
OS Grid: SU396878
Mapcode National: GBR 6Y5.CMN
Mapcode Global: VHC12.6B2S
Entry Name: Priory Cottage
Listing Date: 6 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183279
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251166
Location: Wantage, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Wantage
Built-Up Area: Wantage
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
WANTAGE CHURCH STREET
SU3987NE (South side)
9/71 No. 22 (Priory Cottage)
House. c.1560-80 right of door, c.1790-1800 to left. Originally timber-framed to
right. Roughcast; old tile roof; brick stacks. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys;
4-window range. Carved brackets to flat hood over late C19 six-panelled (4
glazed) door set in eared moulded architrave. Late C18 sashes to left, late C19
three-light casements to right. Gabled roof; left gable end and ridge stacks.
C16 two-storey, one-bay range to rear right, roughcast over timber frame and
with gabled old tile roof; late C18 sashes and 6-panelled door to rear.
2-storey, 2-window range of c.1790-1800 runs parallel to rear left, of Flemish
bond brick with limestone ashlar quoins, gabled old tile roof and gable end
stacks; late C18 sashes and tripartite sash adjoining Doric columns to flat
cornice over French windows. Interior: Late C18 two- and 4-panelled doors. Reset
late C16 panelling to dado of rear left room. First floor has mid/late C16
doorway, cavetto-moulded with sunk spandrels, to rear of ridge stack, late C16
panelling adjoining winder stairs to rear of ridge stack, and mid/late C16
panelled room to right with original door to closet in front of stack. Exposed
timber-framing with large arch-braces. Original roof structure not visible.
Listing NGR: SU3968187862
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings