This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5311 / 52°31'51"N
Longitude: 1.6939 / 1°41'38"E
OS Eastings: 650634
OS Northings: 298995
OS Grid: TM506989
Mapcode National: GBR YSC.92S
Mapcode Global: VHM67.9NV0
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 27 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183409
English Heritage Legacy ID: 282375
Location: Lound, Waveney, Suffolk, NR32
Civil Parish: Lound
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Lound St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
LOUND CHURCH LANE
TM 59 NW
2/24 Church of St. John the
Parish church. Medieval; restored mid and late C19, with further work to the
interior in 1914 by Sir J.M. Comper. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch,
small north vestry. Flint rubble, largely faced with knapped flint; stone
dressings. Slated roofs. Round tower, rebuilt probably C15: the lower part
contains fragments of carved C12 stonework, the upper portion has an admixture
of red brick. 2-light belfry openings to each quarter, flat brick parapet.
Nave probably C13, although there has been much later re-facing, especially on
the south side: Y-traceried windows, with 2 broad lancets at the west end.
C14 south doorway. C15 porch: hoodmould to entrance arch with lion label
stops and shields in the spandrels. Late C14 2-bay chancel with 2-light side
windows and a 4-light east window, all restored; to the south a delicately-
moulded Priest's doorway. Interior. C19 boarded ceilings to nave and
chancel. In the east reveal of the south-east chancel window there is a
cinquefoil-headed piscina, with drop-sill sedilia adjacent. Late C14
octagonal font, the bowl panels carved alternately with lions and with angels
bearing shields; there are angels to the bowl underside and 4 lions against
the stem. The bowl and stem have small traces of original red and blue
colouring. The font stands on an inscribed base. Early C17 pulpit. The rood
screen retains C15 tracery and rood beam but is otherwise much restored; the
gilded and painted vaulted rood loft with rood and 4 flanking figures is by
Comper. Other work by Comper includes the reredos to the nave side-altar, the
organ case and the font cover: all are richly gilded and in the Gothic style.
Listing NGR: TM5063498995
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings