This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.146 / 51°8'45"N
Longitude: -1.7147 / 1°42'52"W
OS Eastings: 420054
OS Northings: 138562
OS Grid: SU200385
Mapcode National: GBR 50K.597
Mapcode Global: VHC31.7GCB
Plus Code: 9C3W47WP+94
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 18 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183690
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319903
ID on this website: 101183690
Location: St Andrew's Church, Boscombe, Wiltshire, SP4
Civil Parish: Allington
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Allington with Boscombe St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
Tagged with: Church building
SU 23 NW
4/5 Church of St Andrew
Anglican parish church. C13, C15, refitted 1633, repaired 1755 and
restored 1936-8. Flint with limestone dressings, tiled roofs.
Nave with western bell turret, chancel and north chapel, now vestry
at right angles to nave. South nave door with chamfered round arch
and mass dial on jamb. Two-light square headed trefoiled windows,
east chancel wall rebuilt 1755 with 3-light window and blind
spandrel. Small timber window with iron casement lighting pulpit.
North door to chancel also chamfered and east door to vestry,
retaining cross boarded C17 door and lock. Vestry remodelled
raised in C17, has 5-light transomed and ovolo moulded north
window. Square turret, clad in shingles and pyramidal tiled roof.
Bench mark on south-west quoins.
Interior: Nave has C19 trussed rafter roof, and bracketed truss
supporting turret. Walls whitewashed over C18 and earlier
paintings. Chancel divided off by beam and plastered spandrel over
in lieu of wall, brackets to beam removed. Chancel roof, C15, also
trussed rafters to carry plaster vault, now removed. Moulded tie
beams and wall plates. Walls whitewashed. No piscina or aumbry.
Fittings: Font, a simple tub with base torus set on short column,
medieval. C17 cover with turned baluster supported by simple ogee
brackets. Pulpit dated HS.1633.ID, panelled, the upper panels
carved, reset over 6 steps and provided with panelled tester in
1709. C17 box pews, probably also 1633, reworked in C19. Panelled
screen to large opening to vestry and panelled door. Monuments: In
nave, north wall. A marble scroll with tie on grey marble field,
by Osmund of Sarum, to Ellen Atkins, died 1851. In chancel: White
marble tablet on grey, by Sanders of London, to Winifred Anne and
Elizabeth Faucett, died 1830 and 1851, draped urn over. East wall,
an oval white panel on grey, to Rev John Jennings, died 1763. Over
chancel beam, royal arms of Victoria. Two brasses, one
commemmorating placing of roadside seats after second world war.
Glass, 3 yellow stained sun and star in east window, probably C16.
Richard Hooker, Divine & Apologist ?1553-1600, rector 1591-95
completed The Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity here before leaving
for Bishopsbourne, Kent, and Isaac Walton, son of Izaac Walton was
(Churches of the Bourne Valley, 1985)
Listing NGR: SU2005338560
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings