This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0964 / 51°5'47"N
Longitude: -2.0946 / 2°5'40"W
OS Eastings: 393470
OS Northings: 133013
OS Grid: ST934330
Mapcode National: GBR 2XZ.57N
Mapcode Global: FRA 66H7.3SY
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 6 January 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183785
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320868
Location: Fonthill Bishop, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: Fonthill Bishop
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Fonthill Bishop with Berwick St Leonard All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
FONTHILL BISHOP SALISBURY ROAD
ST 93 SW (off north side)
1/81 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish church. C13, C14, C15. Restorations of 1871 to
chancel, complete restoration 1879 by T.H. Wyatt. Limestone rubble
stone, tiled roof. Cruciform church with crossing tower and south
porch. Gabled porch with double chamfered pointed doorway,
saddleback coping to verge with cross finial. Nave has no south
windows. South transept has C19 two-light Perpendicular-style
window to south, coped verge with block sundial, stone tablet on
east wall to William Baker died 1799 with reeded surround and
paterae. South side of chancel has pointed priest's door with
hoodmould, C19 two-light square-headed window to left and two
cusped lancets to right, east end has group of three C13 stepped
lancets with continuous hoodmould, coped verge with cross finial.
C19 north vestry has 2-light Y-tracery east window, pointed doorway
to north and ashlar stack with offsets, pitched roof. North
transept has C13 two-light window to north and pair of C19 lancets
to west. North side of nave has blocked chamfered doorway. West
end has 3-light C14 window, coped verge. Two-stage square crossing
tower has offset bellstage, east and north sides have double
chamfered louvred lancets with planked door to south side and
Tudor-arched diamond-leaded window to south side, corbelled eaves
to pyramidal lead roof.
Interior: C14 pointed moulded inner doorway with hoodmould with
king and queen's heads terminals, C19 door. Nave has C19 three-bay
crown post roof, tiled floor. Fine C13 crossing with triple-
chamfered arches on moulded corbels, some with stiff-leaf or
foliated capitals, remains of former rib-vaulted ceiling spring
from moulded corbels. South transept has ogee-headed aumbry and
cavetto-moulded niche on east wall, both transepts have collar-
rafter roofs. Chancel has scissor rafter roof, polychrome tiled
floor, pointed chamfered doorway to vestry, east window has
cavetto-moulded rere-arch. Fittings: good unsigned glass in east
window of 1890s. Two good C17 box pews with doors, rest of pews
and choir stalls are C19, octagonal arcaded wooden pulpit on stone
plinth. Unusual C12 stone font bowl on short cylindrical base.
Two iron and brass C19 candelabras. Christopher Wren's father was
rector here 1620-1628.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST9347533006
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings