This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0129 / 51°0'46"N
Longitude: -1.7364 / 1°44'10"W
OS Eastings: 418591
OS Northings: 123762
OS Grid: SU185237
Mapcode National: GBR 522.KTD
Mapcode Global: FRA 767F.RCL
Plus Code: 9C3W2777+5F
Entry Name: Trafalgar House
Listing Date: 23 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183796
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319687
Location: Downton, Wiltshire, SP5
Civil Parish: Downton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Downton St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 12 SE
4/128 Trafalgar House
Country house. 1733 by John James for Peter Vandeput, wings and
pavilions of 1766 by John Wood the Younger for Henry Dawkins,
second floor added shortly before portico of 1766 by Nicholas
Revett. Flemish bond brick with chamfered limestone quoins, wings
are English bond, Welsh slate hipped roofs, brick stacks with stone
cappings. Central rectangular block with side wings linking two
pavilions. 3-storey, 7-bay symmetrical front. Central Doric
portico by Revett has pairs of columns of Order of The Temple of
Apollo at Delos, projecting pediment and balustraded parapet,
double half-glazed doors in Gibbs surround, three 12-pane sashes
either side. First floor has seven sashes; all windows with Gibbs
surrounds. Modillioned cornice to second floor; seven 6-pane
sashes in moulded architraves. Moulded cornice to blocking course.
Returns have rainwater heads with date 1733. 5-bay right return
has blind windows to left and right, sashes to centre bays same as
front. Left return has 3 bays with Sashes same as front and fine
Venetian window lighting stairs to centre bay of first floor. Rear
of main block has 3 storeys and basement, 7 windows same as front,
centre 3 bays break forward with modillioned pediment and central
glazed doors with segmental pediment on Tuscan columns, basement
has 2-light casements. Linking wings are single-storey with
basement and 5 windows; 12-pane sashes. Pavilions have 2 storeys
and basements, 3:3:3 bays to fronts at right angles to main block.
Centre bays break forward with hipped roof, 12-pane sashes with
flat-arched heads, French windows to 3-bay returns and Venetian
windows with grooved surrounds and paterae to centre bays of
outward-facing fronts, 2-light leaded casements to basements.
Hipped roofs with moulded cornices and blocking courses.
Interior: Fittings of main block mostly of 1733; open well stairs
on south side with 3 turned balusters to a tread and carved
spandrels, very fine entrance hall with coved plaster ceiling with
rococo decoration, walls with Corinthian pilasters, floral swags
and chinoiserie panels, open pedimented doors and fireplace,
modillioned ceiling cornice. Saloon in similar style. Room to
left of hall has fine painted decoration of c1766 by J. B.
Cipriani, depicting allegorical scenes. Other internal decor by
Revett, including fine ceiling, in north pavilion. Rococo and
classical fireplaces, double doors and doors with fielded panels
and central beading. North pavilion refitted early C19, south
pavilion entirely refitted following fire of 1866. Estate bought
by Treasury after death of Dawkins in 1814 and given to heirs of
Admiral Viscount Nelson, in gratitude for his services. The house
was then occupied by his brother, 1st Earl Nelson and the name of
the house changed from Standlynch House to Trafalgar House. House
of 1733 built to replace an earlier house by the river, demolished
(Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury. Country Life
July 13th and 20th, 1945).
Listing NGR: SU1859123762
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings