This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.604 / 53°36'14"N
Longitude: -1.8275 / 1°49'38"W
OS Eastings: 411512
OS Northings: 411947
OS Grid: SE115119
Mapcode National: GBR HVPR.4T
Mapcode Global: WHCB6.WNYZ
Plus Code: 9C5WJ53F+H2
Entry Name: Healey House
Listing Date: 6 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183868
English Heritage Legacy ID: 340859
Location: Meltham, Kirklees, HD4
Civil Parish: Meltham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: South Crosland Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 11 SW
6th April 1967
Large detached residence, now divided. Late C18, built for the
Beaumont family but tenanted by the Brook family until they purchased
it circa 1820. Wings to each side added circa 1850 probably for
Charles Brook (Sen.). Hammer dressed stone with ahslar dressings.
Stone slate roof with broad ashlar stack to each gable. Two storeys.
Symmetrical entrance front. The 3 central bays are pedimented. To
left and right is single bay 2-storey wing and beyond these, the
circa 1850 single storey wings. Central round arched doorway with
fanlight with radial glazing bars, and Doric engaged columns supporting
dentilled entabl.ature. 1st floor window, over, has blind balustrade
with turned balusters, and surround with chambranles and small cornice.
To each side, both floors, is sash window with glazing bars. The
2-storey wings have Venetian window to each floor with glazing bars.
The centre light to the upper floor windows having cambered head.
The garden front has 3-bay central part with dentilled cornice and
blocking course. Central doorway with rectangular fanlight and
dentilled cornice, and slender franking lights. To 1st floor, over,
is large Venetian window with glazing bars, moulded surround and small
transoms to side lights, the whole being set in a round arched recess.
To left and right is two storey bow with 3-light sash windows with
glazing bars. The 2-storey wings have Venetian windows, as those to
the entrance front. Balustraded parapet over. Circa 1850 single
storey wing to each side, that to left formerly being a conservatory
but infilled with stone in early C20, that to right formerly a coach
house and later, kitchens. Both have 4 pilasters supporting a pediment
the tympanum of the one to left being glazed.
Well preserved interior. Round vestibule with niches and doorways,
and early C20 screen, in keeping. Dentilled ceiling cornice and
centre rose. Cantilevered stone staircase, with shaped soffit to
each step. Mahogany rail and wrought iron balustrade.
Listing NGR: SE 11512 11947
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings