This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0822 / 52°4'55"N
Longitude: -1.4574 / 1°27'26"W
OS Eastings: 437279
OS Northings: 242786
OS Grid: SP372427
Mapcode National: GBR 6R4.JC5
Mapcode Global: VHBYJ.PXDP
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183960
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244637
Location: Shenington with Alkerton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Shenington with Alkerton
Built-Up Area: Shenington
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Shenington with Alkerton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SHENINGTON WITH ALKERTON THE GREEN
7/81 Church of Holy Trinity
Church. C12 chancel arch moved to north side of chancel in C19. Mostly C13. Many
windows are C14 and later repaired or restored. C15 south porch. West tower
probably 1504 (bequest). C19 vestry. 1879 restoration by J.L. Pearson. Coursed
ironstone rubble and ironstone ashlar. Chancel and porch have steeply pitched
stone slate roofs laid to diminishing courses. Nave and south aisle roofs not
visible. Stone coped gables. Stone flue on north. Chancel, nave, south aisle,
south porch, west tower. 5-window range. Chancel has a 3-light east window with
renewed reticulated tracery in Clipsham stone. Hood mould and headstop. South
has three 2-light windows with trefoiled lights and quatrefoil. Centre window
has repaired stonework. Sill of window on left (west) is lower. Hood moulds and
label stops. Nave has four 2-light windows on north with trefoiled heads, the
windows wholly renewed in C19 in Clipsham stone. One window is inserted in the
former north doorway. C19 vestry. 4 north and south 2-light Perpendicular
clerestory windows with hood moulds and label stops. Nave has stone parapets and
gable with housing for Sanctus bell. South aisle has a 2-light window with
renewed ironstone tracery and mullion and a 3-light window with trefoiled lights
and square head with weathered label stops. To left of the latter window is a
'lively rustic carving of a man and an ox under a C14 canopy' (Pevsner) now
badly weathered. Perpendicular south porch with pointed arched stone doorway
with hood mould and label stop. 2 scratch dials to right of entrance. West tower
of 2 stages with crenellated parapet and Clipsham stone pinnacles. 3-light
Perpendicular window on west and 2-light louvred window to bell-stage. Diagonal
buttresses: Moulded stone plinth. Staircase projection on south. Interior. C12
chancel arch now in north wall of chancel has cable and zigzag decoration.
Decorated sedilia and piscina. C13 style chancel arch inserted by J.L. Pearson.
2-bay south arcade has 3 octagonal stone piers on C19 stone base. Capitals have
stiff leaf decoration with heads amongst the foliage. C19 roof to nave, chancel
and south aisle. Font c.1800. C19 fittings including pitch pine benches, oak
choir stalls, pulpit, lectern. C19 tiles. Stained glass by Jones and Willis of
Birmingham erected 1909, 1920 and 1921. East window in chancel designed by
Edmund Sedding, main lights by Henry Casolani, executed by Powell. Marble wall
plaque in chancel to Edward and Rebecca Hughes dated 1722.
(VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol IX, pp148-9; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974,
Listing NGR: SP3727942786
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings