This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7314 / 53°43'52"N
Longitude: -1.6589 / 1°39'32"W
OS Eastings: 422597
OS Northings: 426160
OS Grid: SE225261
Mapcode National: GBR JTV9.M4
Mapcode Global: WHC9Q.HG7T
Plus Code: 9C5WP8JR+GC
Entry Name: Church of St John (Methodist)
Listing Date: 3 December 1979
Last Amended: 13 January 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183996
English Heritage Legacy ID: 340930
Location: Kirklees, WF17
Electoral Ward/Division: Birstall and Birkenshaw
Built-Up Area: Batley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Birstall St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 22 NW BATLEY MB HUDDERSFIELD ROAD
3.12.79 Church of St John (Methodist)
(Formerly listed as
Methodist Chapel. Dated 1846. Possibly by James Simpson. Dressed
stone with ashlar dressings. Pitched Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys
on tall plinth with basement. 6 bay hall with 5 bay plain Classical
front, flanked by broad clasping pilasters. 3 bay central break is
pedimented with tablet in tympanum with embossed lettering: WESLEYAN
To left and right steps lead to panelled doors with round arched fanlight
in doorcase with engaged columns, entablature and blocking course.
Round arched windows, with architraves, have keystone and impost blocks
and marginal glazing.
Fine interior has gallery to 3 sides on thin Corinthian columns.
Pilaster bay divisions to walls. Gallery and ground floor are box
pewed throughout to seat 1150. Handsome organ case framed in
Corinthian order. Tall pulpit up twin flights of stairs. Communion
table and ornamental cast iron Communion rail. Cast iron balconies
from organ to staircase doors and gallery.
Bust of John Nelson, 1705-1774, founder of the Chapel, over inscribed
tablet, under gallery. John Nelson was a pioneer of early Methodism
Inscribed foundation stone reads: "The original Wesleyan Chapel was
built in 1750. Rebuilt and enlarged 1782. This Chapel was built
Listing NGR: SE2258226174
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings