This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9803 / 50°58'49"N
Longitude: -1.6289 / 1°37'44"W
OS Eastings: 426147
OS Northings: 120165
OS Grid: SU261201
Mapcode National: GBR 63Y.H0F
Mapcode Global: FRA 76GJ.C6X
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 23 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184023
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319722
Location: Landford, Wiltshire, SP5
Civil Parish: Landford
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Landford St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
LANDFORD STOCK LANE
SU 22 SE
8/163 Church of St. Andrew
Anglican parish church. Cll, but almost entirely rebuilt 1858 by
William Butterfield, north organ chamber 1882. English bond brick
with bands of vitrified bricks, limestone dressings, tiled roof.
Plan: nave, south aisle, south transept, chancel, north organ
chamber and north porch. Gabled porch has timber-framed gable with
wavy bargeboards, small lancets to sides. North side of nave has
two 2-light geometric tracery windows with polychrome stone arches,
moulded string course at sill level. Gabled organ chamber to left
has diagonal buttresses and two cusped lancets and chamfered
shouldered doorcase to north, lean-to to left has cusped lancets.
East end has 3-light geometric tracery window with hoodmould and
cross above in polychrome brickwork, angle buttresses. South side
of chancel has 3-light plate tracery window. South transept has 2-
light geometric window with hoodmould and tiny lights over, to left
is lean-to with chamfered shouldered doorcase with strap hinges.
South aisle has no south windows, catslide roof of two pitches,
west end of aisle has cusped lancet. West end has two geometric
windows and large central buttress carried up to octagonal bellcote
with lancets and quatrefoils and oak-shingled conical roof.
Interior: Porch has scissor-rafter,roof, reset late Cll doorway
with shafts and simple volute capitals and nailhead ornament to
abaci, round arch with roll, double C19 doors with decorative
hinges. Nave has polychrome tiled floor, C12 sculpture with two
figures, above door on north wall, 4½ bay roof with arch-braced
collar, clasped purlins and arched windbracing. South aisle has
two chamfered pointed arches on cylindrical C13-style pier. South
transept has plastered wagon roof and fine collection of C18
memorial tablets, mostly to the Eyre family of Landford Manor
(q.v.) such as a baroque marble on west wall with scrolled pediment
to Elizabeth Eyre died 1758 and large marble on east wall with
carved drapery and skull to Robert Eyre died 1793. Double-
chamfered pointed chancel arch on half-conical corbels, 2-bay
arched-braced collar roof and polychrome tile frieze to walls of
chancel, south wall has sedilia and piscina. All fittings are by
Butterfield, other than glass. Simple limestone octagonal font,
wooden pulpit, pews and choir stalls, marble reredos of 1879. All
windows with good stained glass, the east window of 1861 by Lavers
and Barraud, the west windows also by them of 1858 and 1870, to
designs of N. H. J. Westlake, tracery by J. M. Allen. Church
rebuilt at a cost of £1490. (P. Thompson, William Butterfield,
Listing NGR: SU2614720165
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings