This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7337 / 53°44'1"N
Longitude: -1.7883 / 1°47'17"W
OS Eastings: 414063
OS Northings: 426388
OS Grid: SE140263
Mapcode National: GBR HTY8.M9
Mapcode Global: WHC9N.HFN0
Entry Name: Rookes Hall with Attached Building Warehouse
Listing Date: 3 January 1967
Last Amended: 2 December 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184258
English Heritage Legacy ID: 338895
Location: Calderdale, HX3
Electoral Ward/Division: Hipperholme and Lightcliffe
Built-Up Area: Bradford
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Coley St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 12 NW
ROOKES LANE (west side)
Rookes Hall with attached building warehouse
(formerly listed as Rookes Hall)
House, mid C17 with attached warehouse (now garage to ground floor) partly built over service end, mid C18. Hammer-dressed stone, with ashlar dressings, stone slate roof. Two storeys. Double pile on plan.
Two-span roof with coped gable and kneelers, with gable stacks to right hand end. Three-bay front, quoins, string course. Left hand bay has two-storey porch sheltering the entry to the through passage. The porch has an outer door with moulded jambs and shaped lintel. Above the door are flanking miniature columns and sundial dated 1638, solid parapet and finials. The inner door has a broad-chamfered surround. All are double chamfered mullioned windows having lost all transoms and most mullions. Only king mullions remain (most renewed). Window to porch was originally of six lights. Second bay has cross-window/fire-window now solid over unusual four-light oriel with canted side; and remains of large mullioned and transomed 20-light hall window, with 12-light mullioned and transomed window over. Third bay has 16-light mullioned and transomed window to parlour with 12-light over. Between the second and third bays at first floor, is cross-window with hoodmould and projecting rainwater head. Right hand return wall has evidence for cross-window now solid and other mullioned windows of two lights now altered. Rear of double pile has quoins and double chamfered mullioned windows of four and six lights to ground floor with one window of several lights now reduced by inserted door but still with hoodmould over. To first floor are two 12-light mullioned and transomed windows and a two-light window between (all with most mullions and transoms removed). Rear doorway of through passage, has large square-headed lintel and composite jambs with taking-in door over (part solid and window). One small two-light window survives from earlier service room with raised roof in large warehouse connected with textile manufacture. Four stacks.
Interior: The through passage has heavy joists 7" x 4½" stop chamfered at the east end; backing on to the passage is a fireplace with moulded jambs and elaborate stops and shallow arched lintel. A leaf pattern is carved in the stone surround. The parlour has fireplace with shallow arched lintel with carved spandrels with shields and moulded jambs.
The remains of a fine building, severely mutilated. (Previous state illustrated in). G. Hepworth, Brighouse, its scenery and antiquities (Halifax, 1885), p.21. D. Nortcliffe, Buildings of Brighouse, (Brighouse 1978), p.9.
Listing NGR: SE1406326388
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings