This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3698 / 51°22'11"N
Longitude: -1.5479 / 1°32'52"W
OS Eastings: 431570
OS Northings: 163511
OS Grid: SU315635
Mapcode National: GBR 5ZD.5GL
Mapcode Global: VHC1Z.4T2S
Plus Code: 9C3W9F92+WV
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 22 August 1966
Last Amended: 30 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184401
English Heritage Legacy ID: 310875
Location: Shalbourne, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Shalbourne
Built-Up Area: Shalbourne
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
SU 36 SW
12/153 Church of St. Michael and
22.8.66 (formerly listed as Parish Church
of St Michael)
Anglican parish church. Circa 1200, c1300 and 1871-3 by G. F.
Bodley. Flint and stone, tiled roof and machine tiles on north.
Nave and south aisle. West tower. South transept and Chancel.
Timber south porch. Reset Romanesque south door with chevron and
lobed arch on nook shafts with ribbed capitals. Two lancets on
north wall of nave and simple priest's door c1200. Chancel
windows Decorated, 2-lights with quatrefoil heads and hollow
chamfers. South priest's door. Transept, after 1300, with 3-light
Tudor arched windows of 1873. East end and tower rebuilt by Bodley
and south aisle added. Tower slender and tall, of 3 stages with 2-
light square headed bell openings and crenellated parapet.
Interior: Nave, open crown post roof of 5 bays with moulded ties
on wall posts, all painted. South arcade 1872-3 in Decorated style
with octagonal columns. Chancel, long with 5-sided panelled
ceiling below collar and braces. C13 - C14 trefoiled piscina and
adjacent window sill lowered as sedilia. South aisle, 1871-3 open
to transept, lean-to roof. Fittings: Font, medieval, octagon with
lead lining inscribed March 1688, and conical cover of 1680.
Pulpit, 1871-3, octagonal with linenfold decoration. Screen and
Rood loft of oak, handsome, and of generous scale rising into roof
space, also 1871. Lectern, of oak 1871. Monuments: Nave: Brass
commemorating the rebuilding of C19. Chancel: Wall monument,
limestone with clunch effigy, 1562, to FRANCES CHOKE of West Court.
Raised wall table with leatherwork arms in panels below. Tudor
arched recess with recumbant effigy in armour lying on sword. Lion
at feet. Flanking Corinthian columns supporting entablature with
running frieze, triple offset at ends. Crest over. An early
Classical monument. Wall tablet, 1705, black and white marbles, to
ELIZABETH MAYOTT, recessed panel between pilasters and curtain over
inscription. Brass to T. H. MITCHELL, 1890. On south side: Wall
tablet, 1720 black and white marble, Corinthian pilasters. To
MARTHA (illegible) Inscription under keystone, the first
dedication erased. Garland and putti. Wall monument, 1722, white
marble, to ELIZABETH MAYOTT. Baroque style with standing draped
figure in niche, and flanking Corinthian pilasters. Entablature
swept up to coloured arms. Skull, torches and putto below. South
transept: Wall monuments: 1809, to SARAH PALMER, 1799, to WILLIAM
DYER, scrolls around inscription, and 1789, white and grey marble,
to DANIEL STOCKWELL. Chaste. Also inscribed small marble tablet,
c.1715 noting bequest of bread by Martha Smith. Bronze tablet,
1932 to JETHRO TULL, the agricultural improver, of Prosperous Farm,
Shalbourne (q.v.), 1674-1740. Glass: East chancel window 1871 by
Kempe. Furniture: Narrow late C17 table in sanctuary. Panelled
parish chest of 1899. (References: Pevsner, Sir N. Building of
England; WILTSHIRE. Church guide.)
Listing NGR: SU3157063511
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings