This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1666 / 52°9'59"N
Longitude: -1.3916 / 1°23'29"W
OS Eastings: 441708
OS Northings: 252206
OS Grid: SP417522
Mapcode National: GBR 7RL.2ZD
Mapcode Global: VHBY5.TSNZ
Entry Name: The Red House
Listing Date: 30 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184451
English Heritage Legacy ID: 306152
Location: Fenny Compton, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV47
Civil Parish: Fenny Compton
Built-Up Area: Fenny Compton
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Avon Dassett with Fenny Compton
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
FENNY COMPTON CHURCH STREET
SP4052 (North side)
6/42 The Red House
House. Late C16/early C17 origins, remodelled and dated 1707; early C20 alterations and additions. Red Flemish bond brick with moulded stone plinth, quoins, and string course and dressings. Old tile hipped roof with wood coved cornice; brick ridge stacks. Complex L-plan. 2 storeys and attic; 5 bays. Main, formerly entrance, front has large stone doorway on left in second bay. Moulded eared architrave and narrow sunk panels, bolection-moulded entablature breaking forward left and right, and scroll pediment. Sash window inserted in place of door. 2 sashes to right. First floor has raised brick panel and painted wood sundial with moulded frame and date, in place of window. Window openings have gauged brick flat arches with keystones. Rusticated alternating quoins to right corner only. Main entrance now in C20 wing. Left return side has doorway with moulded stone architrave. Glazed door and overlight with fan glazing. C20 wood porch of Tuscan columns with simple, incorrect, entablature and large dentils. Narrow sash to right. Mid/late C20 sash above. Right return side has C20 additions. Garden front: 2-window main range and 2-window wing projecting on left, with additions beyond. Main range has mid/late C19 French windows and loggia with octagonal brick pillars and tile lean-to roof. First floor has sash, and early C20 leaded cross window on right. 2 hipped roofs. Wing stands on high limestone ashlar cellar with chamfered single light. Ground floor has early C20 four-light leaded wood-mullioned and transomed oriel with tile roof. First floor has sashes. Hipped roof. Roof dormer has casement with glazing bars. First floor openings throughout have gauged brick flat arches. Early C20 range has sashes. Interior; room with wide open fireplace with stop-chamfered bressumer. Early C20 fireplace inside it has overmantel of imported C17 wood panels and pilasters. Wall above fireplace has 2 late C16/early C17 plaster caryatids. Jacobean plaster ceiling divided into 2 compartments by decorated central beam. Compartments have rope work panels with vase of flowers at each corner and
central roundels containing rose motif. Running vine cornice, interrupted by windows. Open well staircase has twisted balusters. Fielded 2-panelled doors with H-hinges. Room with cupboards said to have been for wigs. The house is said to have been built as a rectory. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.293-294).
Listing NGR: SP4170852206
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings