This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1827 / 52°10'57"N
Longitude: -1.4685 / 1°28'6"W
OS Eastings: 436438
OS Northings: 253958
OS Grid: SP364539
Mapcode National: GBR 6PZ.1L8
Mapcode Global: VHBY4.HDJM
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 30 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184784
English Heritage Legacy ID: 307063
Location: Gaydon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35
Civil Parish: Gaydon
Built-Up Area: Gaydon
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Gaydon with Chadshunt
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
GAYDON CHURCH ROAD
Church of St. Giles
Small church. 1852. Designed by Squirhill. Ironstone ashlar with moulded
cornices. Tile roofs have stone coped gable parapets with gablet kneelers.
Chancel, nave, north aisle and porch and north-west tower. Simple Gothic Revival
Decorated style. 2-bay chancel, 4-bay nave. Diagonal, west angle and other
buttresses of 2 offsets. Chancel has moulded sill course, stepped up below east
window. 3-light double-chamfered east and west windows have cusped intersecting
tracery and hood mould with foliage stops. North and south sides have traceried
ogee lancets with relieving arches. Porch has doorway of 2 moulded orders.
Double-leaf doors with decorative hinges. Trefoil openings cut from a single
block. Inside, the simple moulded south doorway is possibly mediaeval. 2 north
2-light segmental-pointed windows with reticulated tracery and relieving arches.
Tower of 3 low stages with splays, abutting porch. Angle buttresses. High double
plinth. Traceried north ogee lancet. Second stage has small ogee lancets with
gablets breaking into splay course. Octagonal third stage has traceried lancet
bell openings with hood moulds to 4 faces. Clock faces across openings to 3
sides. Moulded cornice. Steep stone pyramidal roof. Interior: scored imitation
ashlar plastered walls. Chancel has moulded stone sill course. Chancel and nave
have arched braced trefoiled queen strut roofs with stone ball flower corbels to
chancel and shaped corbels to nave. Chancel arch has outer arch with imposts,
and inner arch on triple colonnettes with leaf capitals and corbels. Plaster
arches of 2 chamfered orders throughout. Entrance to reading desk in north-east
corner of nave has segmental pointed arch across angle, with similar arch across
aisle south-east corner. 3-bay arcade has low round piers with moulded capitals.
Aisle has lean-to roof. Fittings: stone reredos of cinqfoiled arches. Octagonal
font. Original altar rails, stalls, reading desk, pulpit etc. Stained glass:
east window in memory of Edward Bolton King 1876.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.295).
Listing NGR: SP3643853958
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings