This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2014 / 52°12'5"N
Longitude: -1.5106 / 1°30'38"W
OS Eastings: 433543
OS Northings: 256019
OS Grid: SP335560
Mapcode National: GBR 6PJ.WDM
Mapcode Global: VHBXX.RXRS
Plus Code: 9C4W6F2Q+HQ
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 30 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185035
English Heritage Legacy ID: 307108
Location: Lighthorne, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35
Civil Parish: Lighthorne
Built-Up Area: Lighthorne
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Lighthorne St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
LIGHTHORNE CHURCH LANE
SP35NW (North side)
4/112 Church of St. Lawrence
Church. Tower 1771 by Samuel Eglinton. Church 1875-1876 by John Gibson. Tower of
limestone ashlar wth contrasting limestone dressings. Church of regular coursed
rock-faced limestone with ironstone dressings. Tile roofs have coped gable
parapets. Chancel, nave, north aisle and chapel, south porch, west tower. 3-bay
chancel, 4-bay nave. Gothic revival Decorated style. Splayed plinth, buttresses
of 2 offsets, moulded sill course and splayed cornice throughout, except tower.
Chancel has 3-light east window with bar tracery. Sill course stepped down to
left and right. Buttresses flush with north and south walls have gablets. South
side has narrow door in chamfered surround, with wider hood mould. 2-light
windows have cusped intersecting tracery. Open-fronted south porch of stone and
timber has arch and glazed panels. Double-leaf doors in chamfered surround. Nave
and aisle have 2-light windows with reticulated tracery. Chapel has 2-light east
window. North window of 3 small trefoiled lancets. Tower of 3 stages has splayed
string courses. Gothick 4-panelled south door in moulded 4-centred surround.
Second stage has large blind quatrefoil. West side has large quatrefoil window.
Second stage window and bell openings have Y-tracery. Leaded lights, and
louvres. Crenellated parapet with moulded cornice. Interior: chancel and nave
have sill course continued over doors and arches as hood mould. Arched
scissor-braced roofs with subsidiary braces and moulded stone corbels. Chancel
has quatrefoil frieze below east window. South piscina. Arched north recess has
attached shafts. Large and small chamfered arches to chapel. Chancel arch of 2
chamfered orders with hood mould has half-round shafts with half-octagon
capitals. 4-bay arcade has chamfered arches and round shafts with moulded
capitals; no responds or imposts. Double-leaved doors to tower in chamfered
arch, in double-chamfered straight surround. Inscription above. Treated as one
composition with 2-light traceried balcony opening above. Quatrefoil balustrade.
Aisle has tie-beam roof. Chapel has coupled rafter roof. Fittings: mosaic
reredos. Encaustic tile sanctuary floor. Wrought iron altar rails. Octagonal
font with attached shafts. Late C19/C20 Perpendicular style pulpit. Contemporary
lectern, stalls and pews. Stained glass: chancel east, nave south-east and
central and chapel east windows c.1875. Chapel north windows c.1894. Aisle east
window has re-set old armorial glass. Headstone attached to chancel south wall.
1714. Carved limestone. Scalloped top with winged head and 2 bosses. Panel in
shaped scrolled pedimented frame with drops.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, p.117; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.340).
Listing NGR: SP3354356019
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings