This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7546 / 51°45'16"N
Longitude: -1.2546 / 1°15'16"W
OS Eastings: 451551
OS Northings: 206474
OS Grid: SP515064
Mapcode National: GBR 8YY.TYC
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.65M8
Plus Code: 9C3WQP3W+R5
Entry Name: The Old Clarendon Building
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185456
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245364
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holywell
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross with St Peter-in-the-East,
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
The Old Clarendon
SP 5106 SE 9/146 12.1.54.
RCHM 3. Built 1711-13 in Headington free stone and patched and restored
in Clipsham stone in 1909. Hawksmoor received £100 in 1715 to "gratify"
him, presumably in his capacity as overseer. The cost of the building was
borne by the University from the profits of Lord Clarendon's History of
the Rebellion". (For history, see Hiscock's A Christ Church Miscellany
Exeter ColIege, The Old Ashmolean Building, The Sheldonian Theatre and The
Old Clarendon Building form a group with The Indian Institute, Catte Street.
Listing NGR: SP5155106473
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings