This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1083 / 52°6'29"N
Longitude: -1.6235 / 1°37'24"W
OS Eastings: 425881
OS Northings: 245615
OS Grid: SP258456
Mapcode National: GBR 5P6.Y2N
Mapcode Global: VHBYF.T82N
Plus Code: 9C4W495G+8H
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 13 October 1966
Last Amended: 30 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185710
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305869
Location: Halford, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV36
Civil Parish: Halford
Built-Up Area: Halford
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Halford
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
HALFORD QUEEN'S STREET
SP2545 (West side)
6/106 Church of St. Mary
13/10/66 (Formerly listed as Parish
Church of St. Mary)
Church. C12 and C13, much restored in 1862 and 1883. Regular coursed ironstone
rubble. Steeply pitched tile roof. Stone coped gables. Ironstone quoins. Nave,
chancel, south aisle, south-west tower. Chancel. Renewed 2-light lancets to
north and south, renewed 3-light east window with cusped heads and quatrefoils.
Nave. An unusual 3-light lancet to north in sandstone with repairs in limestone.
C19 hood mould and label stop. Small Romanesque window with renewed stonework.
Decorated west window of 3 lights with cusped heads and hood mould. North
doorway. Romanesque. Tympanum shows one of the earlierst known examples of a
half-length figure. Gabled porch with round headed entrances. South aisle.
Romanesque south doorway badly weathered. C20 plank door. To right a 3-light
Decorated window with hood mould and label stops. Similar east window.
South-west tower: 3 stages. Lancets to ground and first floors. Pairs of lancets
to bell-stage. Embattled parapet with finials. Interior: Romanesque chancel arch
with C12 niche to right. Chancel has C19 roof supported on foliated corbels.
Squint in west wall. Renewed 3-bay south arcade. C14 octagonal stone font with
carved oak cover. Monuments in chancel to Francis wife of George Granger d.
April 14, 1674, and Mary and Anthony Apperley d.1783 and 1799. Marble wall
tablet in nave to Mary Plumb d. 1763. Romanesque north doorway noted as the
finest in the county.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, 1981, p.303).
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol. V, 1949, pp90-92).
Listing NGR: SP2588145615
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings