This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4918 / 52°29'30"N
Longitude: -1.3358 / 1°20'8"W
OS Eastings: 445196
OS Northings: 288420
OS Grid: SP451884
Mapcode National: GBR 7ML.R36
Mapcode Global: VHCT3.SMPM
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 6 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185719
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308875
Location: Copston Magna, Rugby, Warwickshire, LE10
Civil Parish: Copston Magna
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Copston Magna St John
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
5/9 Church of St. John
Church. 1849. Granite rubble with limestone dressings. Chancel and vestry have
plain-tile roofs; nave and porch have C20 cement tile roofs. Coped gable
parapets; chancel has twin gablet kneelers; nave and porch have moulded
kneelers. Chancel, nave, south-west porch, south-east vestry. Gothic Revival
early C14 style. 2-bay chancel; 4-bay nave. Chancel has buttresses of 2 offsets
flush with east wall. East window of 3 lights has bar tracery, splay sill course
and hood mould with head stops. Bar tracery throughout. South side has one and
north side has 2 trefoiled western lancets. All windows have hood moulds with
return stops. Vestry has pitched roof with octagonal pinnacle to gable.
Trefoiled lancets, paired to east and single to south. Chamfered west doorway
with plank door. Nave has western angle and side buttresses. Porch has
buttresses flush with front. Doorway has nook shafts, arch of 2 moulded orders
and hood mould with head stops. Doorway of 2 moulded orders inside. Plank door.
Two 2-light windows to south and 3 to north; trefoiled lancets. West front has
central buttress. Two 2-light windows. Gable has sexfoil window. West bellcote
has gable and chamfered trefoiled arch. Interior is plastered. Arched-brace
roofs. Chancel roof is moulded and has stone angel corbels. Chancel arch of 2
chamfered orders, the inner with half-octagonal responds and moulded capitals.
Hood mould with head stops. Fittings: painted metal Commandment boards to left
and right of chancel arch. Traceried stone pulpit. Octagonal stone font.
Original pews. Stained glass: east window 1887 by Edward Swinfen Harris. The
church was built as a chapel of ease to Monks Kirby.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, p.180; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
Listing NGR: SP4519688420
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings