This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5162 / 51°30'58"N
Longitude: -1.7781 / 1°46'41"W
OS Eastings: 415491
OS Northings: 179722
OS Grid: SU154797
Mapcode National: GBR 4VV.TGT
Mapcode Global: VHB3T.45B0
Plus Code: 9C3WG68C+FP
Entry Name: Overtown House
Listing Date: 26 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185738
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318632
Location: Wroughton, Swindon, SN4
Civil Parish: Wroughton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Wroughton
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
5410 WROUGHTON OVERTOWN
SU 17 NE 15/552 26.1.55
East front circa 1700 with flanking early-mid C19 wings. West front circa 1800.
A very pleasant stone built house with hipped stone tile roofs. West front:
2 1/2 storeys rubble with ashlar quoins. Two hipped dormers. Chamfered string
over ground floor, 5 windows, left hand bay of 3 lights, others 2 light, mullioned.
Central doorway with scalloped hood and an extremely fine polished hardwood
21 panel-door (see also at Burderop Park, under Chiseldon). On each side,
projecting mid C19 brick and stone tile flanking wings with excellent multi-panel
central doors, flanking tripartite windows and venetian windows in gable ends,
left hand wing blind. Closing wall to front: C18 brick with moulded coping
and, imported, pineapple finials to gate piers.
West front: early C19 added pavilion with much C20 reworking. Two and a half
storeys. Moulded plinth and string, latter raised over ground floor windows.
Three windows, glazing bar sashes, outer tripartite (with keys on ground floor).
Central half glazed door With reeded pilasters and radiating and patterned
fanlight. Very large chimney stack to ddait.Side'windows on south return
are C20 mullioned type. Carriage-sweep with 2 pairs of C18 style rusticated
ashlar piers with moulded capping and ball finials.
South front links east and west parts of house and has a number of circa 1700
mullion windows, mostly ovolo.
Interior: 2 staircases, one late C17 with heavy balusters on both sides and
flat baluster gates at base. Three door surrounds in east part have enriched
stop chamfers. One ground floor room to south has restored C17 panelling
in it. In the west part the north room has a mid C19 Gothic marble fireplace.
Listing NGR: SU1549179722
Other nearby listed buildings