This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5388 / 52°32'19"N
Longitude: -1.4712 / 1°28'16"W
OS Eastings: 435961
OS Northings: 293571
OS Grid: SP359935
Mapcode National: GBR 6KJ.T06
Mapcode Global: VHBWD.GG22
Plus Code: 9C4WGGQH+GG
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 6 December 1947
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185771
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308580
Location: Nuneaton and Bedworth, Warwickshire, CV10
Electoral Ward/Division: Weddington
Built-Up Area: Nuneaton
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Weddington St James
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
NUNEATON AND BEDWORTH
CHURCH LANE (North side)
Church of St. James
Church. Early C14 north transept, now vestry. Chancel, nave and tower rebuilt 1733 at expense of Gilbert Adderley. Gothicised by Arthur Blomfield 1881. Sandstone splay plinth throughout is probably medieval. Flemish bond brick with stone dressings. North transept of regular coursed sandstone. Plain-tile roofs with terracotta ridge cresting and stone-coped gable parapets. Chancel, nave, west tower, south porch, north vestry. C13 style. Two-bay chancel, four-bay nave. Three-light east window has bar tracery and hood mould with foliage stops. Moulded sill course steps down and continues across north and south sides. South side has a two-light and north side a one-light window with similar tracery. All openings throughout have brick voussoirs. Moulded stone cornice. Porch has buttresses flush with front. Doorway of two moulded orders with nook shafts, hood mould with foliage stops, and double leaf doors. Sides have paired trefoil windows.
Nave has three windows with cusped Y-tracery, and moulded sill course. North side is a similar one-window range. Transept has renewed straight-headed traceried three-light east window. Buttresses in east and west angles. North side has blocked medieval window with hood mould and remains of head stops. Quatrefoil windows inserted to left and right. Plain gable. West wall has two large slate headstones attached. Left headstone, dated 1734, has inscription to Gilbert Adderley: 'He built this church at his sole expence in 1733'. Right: Thomas Adderley 1757. Fine large coat of arms. Tower of two stages with stone splay course between. Clasping buttresses with gablets. West doorway has moulded outer and chamfered inner order, and plank door. Hood mould with head stop. Two-light bell-chamber openings have cusped Y-tracery, wood louvres and hood moulds with foliage stops. South side has two-light window with round-arched plate tracery below bell opening. Rose window to east has Star of David tracery. Steep pyramid roof has lucarnes and weathervane. Interior is plastered. East window has moulded arches, attached shafts and hood mould. three-bay boarded barrel roof. Chancel arch of 1881 of two chamfered orders, the inner with half-octagonal responds, and hood mould with head stops. Nave has C14 north arch of two chamfered orders and hood mould; late C20 enclosed screen. Trenched purlin roof has chamfered tie and collar beams with braces.
Fittings: early C12 font bowl has intersecting blind arcading; C19 stem. Hexagonal pulpit of 1733 has bolection and fielded panels. Cut-down C18 panelled pews. Late C19 encaustic tiles and other fittings.
Stained glass: nave south-east by Kempe and Tower 1916.
This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20 June 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings