This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.492 / 54°29'31"N
Longitude: -1.4385 / 1°26'18"W
OS Eastings: 436465
OS Northings: 510885
OS Grid: NZ364108
Mapcode National: GBR LJDH.CJ
Mapcode Global: WHD78.WC46
Plus Code: 9C6WFHR6+QH
Entry Name: Low Middleton Hall and Former Stable on Rear
Listing Date: 6 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185935
English Heritage Legacy ID: 350466
Location: Middleton St. George, Darlington, DL2
Civil Parish: Middleton St George
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Middleton St George
Church of England Diocese: Durham
MIDDLETON ST. GEORGE LOW MIDDLETON
NZ 31 SE (West side)
9/63 Low Middleton Hall
6/6/52 and former stable
House. 1721 for Robert Killinghall, date and initials on 2 rainwater heads;
late C18 alterations and additions; c.1870 additions on rear. Squared red
sandstone with narrow brick dressings; pantiled roofs; old brick chimney
stacks; rear additions partly roughcast brick. One-room-deep main block with
2 gabled wings on rear; late C18 wing and late C19 former stable on central
rear wing; c.1870 tower and stair turret on right rear.
3-storey, 10-bay main block. Squared quoin. Doorway and two early C19
12-pane sashes in altered openings on centre of ground floor. Original
openings elsewhere with brick jambs and flat arches. 12-pane sashes have
mainly thick glazing bars with ovolo moulding inside; square 6-pane sashes
and 12-pane horizontal-sliding sashes on top floor. Square stone sundial
with iron gnomon on centre of first floor. Eaves raised in narrow brick.
Painted stone cornice. Steep roof with coped gables, end and ridge stacks.
Lead rainwater head (1721 RKI) on left return. Elaborate rainwater head
dated 1696 and lead tank dated 1765 (brought c.1890 from a house in Yarm)
on left rear. Two 2-storey, one-bay deep gabled wings on rear partly hidden
by later additions. Centre wing has embattled parapet and 1721 rainwater
head. Rear additions: 3-storey square-plan tower and lower stair turret
with embattled parapets on right rear; probably late C18, tall single-storey
2-bay wing and 2-storey, 3-bay former stable on rear of gabled central wing
(the former has 6-panel door and paired sashes; the latter has central Dutch
door and partly-glazed hit-and-miss windows); continuous steeply-pitched roof
over wing and stable.
Interior of main block: central open-well C18 staircase with C19 stick
balusters and handrail. Back stair, of 6 flights and 2 landings around narrow
open well, has moulded closed string, panelled newels, turned balusters and
a ramped square-sectioned handrail. Ground-floor room at right has original
panelling with dado rail, bolection-moulded wood chimneypiece with overmantel,
round-arched 8-panel door with panelled reveals, and ceiling cornice; small
room in centre has similar panelling. First-floor bedrooms also with early
C18 panelling and some 2-panel doors.
Rear additions and former stable included for group value. Altered cottage
on rear of stable is not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NZ3646510885
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings