This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5454 / 54°32'43"N
Longitude: -1.4745 / 1°28'28"W
OS Eastings: 434092
OS Northings: 516807
OS Grid: NZ340168
Mapcode National: GBR LH4W.KC
Mapcode Global: WHD72.B03R
Plus Code: 9C6WGGWG+55
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 20 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185943
English Heritage Legacy ID: 350488
Location: Sadberge, Darlington, DL2
Civil Parish: Sadberge
Built-Up Area: Sadberge
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Sadberge
Church of England Diocese: Durham
SADBERGE CHURCH VIEW
NZ 3416 (South side, off)
15/112 Church of
20/3/67 St. Andrew
Parish church. 1831 by William Ramshaw, refenestrated 1874; south porch and
vestry added 1904. Squared sandstone with dressings; incorporating some
probably medieval masonry in lower courses. Graduated green slate roofs.
Aisleless nave with former porch, now storage, on west end and 1904 porch on
south; chancel; north vestry across junction of nave and chancel. 1831
Romanesque-style windows mainly replaced by lancets in 1874.
3-bay nave has chamfered plinth and flat-buttress bay divisions. 3-centred
south doorway, in porch, flanked by re-set carved medieval fragments
representing The Fall and God triumphing over Satan; small stoup re-set
near east jamb of doorway. Mainly paired lancets under hoodmoulds. Round-
arched 1831 window in east bay on south side. Roof has overhanging eaves
on large stone corbels. Large gabled bellcote at west end above blocked
round-arched window. Lower and narrower 2-bay chancel has similar window
and roof details; pointed 3-light east window. Gabled west end porch has
blocked round-arched doorway. Gabled south porch has pointed doorway of 2
chamfered orders and lancets on returns. Gabled vestry has pointed doorway
on east and paired lancets on north.
Interior: plain and plastered; chamfered semicircular chancel arch; similar
smaller arch at west end of nave; C19 stone font with octagonal bowl; c.1890
to 1900 memorial stained glass by Hemmings of London; nave roof has 7 braced
king-post trusses with a flat ceiling above the collars.
(Rev. W.L. Taylor, The History of Sadberge, 1919).
Listing NGR: NZ3409216807
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings