This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.4582 / 54°27'29"N
Longitude: -1.4619 / 1°27'42"W
OS Eastings: 434982
OS Northings: 507113
OS Grid: NZ349071
Mapcode National: GBR LJ7W.9M
Mapcode Global: WHD7G.J62L
Plus Code: 9C6WFG5Q+76
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 20 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185947
English Heritage Legacy ID: 350498
Location: Neasham, Darlington, DL2
Civil Parish: Neasham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sockburn
Church of England Diocese: Durham
SOCKBURN SOCKBURN LANE
NZ 3407 (South end, off)
19/39 Church of All Saints
Ruined church. Pre-Conquest nave and chancel; late C12 south aisle; chancel
rebuilt early C13; C14 chantry, now Conyers, chapel was restored and re-roofed
1900 by W.H. Knowles. Squared red sandstone; Conyers chapel has stone-flagged
roof. Roofless nave with fragmentary foundations of aisle on south and
Conyers chapel on north; roofless chancel. Early English nave arcade and
chancel; restored windows with Perpendicular-style tracery in Conyers chapel.
Tall, narrow 2-bay nave. Quoins of long-and-short work were noted in 1900
by W.H. Knowles but were concealed by vegetation at time of survey. South
aisle has disappeared but 2-bay arcade remains: 2 double-chamfered pointed
arches on central pier with square plinth, chamfered base and moulded octagonal
capital. Foundations only of north and south chancel walls. Double-chamfered
pointed chancel arch on mid-wall corbels. Flat-buttressed east end stands
almost to full height and has chamfered plinth and 3 stepped lancets with
chamfered reveals, linked hoodmoulds and deeply-splayed rear-arches. 2-bay
Conyers chapel: chamfered plinth on north and west; largely-rebuilt, diagonally-
buttressed north wall; wide double-chamfered pointed arch in south wall;
2- and 3-light square-headed windows with Perpendicular tracery; steeply-
pitched roof with moulded coped gables and shaped footstones.
The Conyers chapel contains a superb collection of well-preserved sculpture
including: pre-Conquest cross shafts, hog-backed and tegulated grave covers,
cross heads; medieval grave covers, some with C14 and C15 inlaid brasses to
members of the Conyers family, fragment of square-headed window tracery,
circular font bowl and 2 carved panels possibly from an altar tomb; mid C13
effigy of a cross-legged knight.
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
(W.H. Knowles, "Sockburn Church", Transactions of the Architectural and
Archaeological Society of Northumberland and Durham, Vol. 5, 1905).
(J.T. Lang, "Illustrative carvings of the Viking period at Sockburn on Tees",
Archaeologia Aeliana, 4th Series, Vol. 50, 1972).
Listing NGR: NZ3497607106
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings