This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8211 / 54°49'15"N
Longitude: -1.7406 / 1°44'26"W
OS Eastings: 416762
OS Northings: 547392
OS Grid: NZ167473
Mapcode National: GBR JD8P.YK
Mapcode Global: WHC4G.72CX
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 17 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185983
English Heritage Legacy ID: 350585
Location: Lanchester, County Durham, DH7
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Lanchester
Built-Up Area: Lanchester
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Lanchester and Burnhope
Church of England Diocese: Durham
LANCHESTER DURHAM ROAD
NZ 1647 (East side)
13/78 Church of All Saints
Parish church; collegiate church 1283-C16; at one time known as church of St.
Mary. C12, possibly incorporating earlier fabric, with C13 alterations and
additions, and C14, C15 and later alterations. Sandstone, much of it coursed
and squared and including large blocks, with plinth, quoins and ashlar dresssings;
roofs of Lakeland slate; stone-flagged porch roof.
West tower; aisled nave with south porch; chancel with north organ chamber and
vestry. Tower has short diagonal buttresses flanking chamfered window with
cusped Y tracery; clock in moulded surround at top of high first stage; belfry
has C19 openings in similar style to west window, with polygonal corner
pilasters, under parapet string with stone drains below battlements with corner
pinnacles. Small rectangular lights in north and south elevations and in stair
turret on south-east. Battlemented aisle and nave. Steeply-gabled south porch
has double-chamfered 2-centred arch on re-used shafts with cushion capitals,
and sundial in gable peak; inner door round-headed with chevron moulding and
probably C13 door with large wrought-iron hinges, partly renewed. Buttressed
aisles have 2 Tudor-arched lights in hollow-chamfered surrounds; similar 2-light
clerestory windows. Lower chancel has varied windows, all with 2-centred-arched
heads; some with cusped tracery; 3 east lancets, the central slightly higher;
partly-blocked 2-centred arched vestry window with Tudor-arched 2-light window
Nave roof hipped at east end; chancel roof has east gable coping with cross
finial, and catslide roof over vestry.
Interior: lime-washed plaster with ashlar dressings and arcades; c.1600 nave
roof on slightly-arched tie-beams, with south aisle of same date and north aisle
C19; tower has deeply-ribbed vault with bell-rope roundel; chancel has arch-
braced early C20 roof. 4-bay arcades have keel-moulded 2-centred arches, with
inner chamfered arch and continuous dripmould with nutmeg decoration, on round
piers with octagonal bases; north piers monolithic and probably from nearby
Roman fort. Chamfered 2-centred tower arch, with imposts, has corbelled
chamfered inner arch; elliptical-headed chancel arch of 2 orders has chevron
moulding on shafts with cushion capitals, raised in high base, perhaps of former
screen. 3-bay chancel has massive 4-chamfered south-west arch on squinches
containing 3-light window; north organ arch, formerly to chapel, of similar
shape with 4 ribs on chamfered reveals; trefoil heads to east lancets and
blocked north lancets. Roll-moulded cusped surround to vestry door with high-
relief carved mutilated figure and foliage in tympanum, in vigorous flowing
style. Re-used head corbels in chancel have been candle holders; similarities
are noted with the eyes of heads at Rheims, Westminster and Lincoln, and with
head corbels in chapel of the Nine Altars in Durham Cathedral. Glass includes
3 early C13 sections depicting flight into Egypt, Annunciation to the Shepherds
and Adoration of the Magi set against south-west chancel window; other glass
C19 memorials, and geometric-patterned clear glass, that in clerestory by L.C.
Monuments include C14 effigy in south aisle: priest with chalice, in arch of
re-used chevron moulding; large slabs in chancel floor to Samual Sanderson of
Hedleyhope, died 1656; memorial to George Baker of Crooke, died 1677 inscribed
on slab with small brass inscribed to John Rudde, Dean, died 1490. In north
aisle, white marble late C18 wall slab in pilastered frame with coat of arms,
to James and George Clavering; white marble in Classical style, mid-C18, to
members of the Greenwell family. In south aisle to George Hedley of Burnhopeside
Hall, died 1886, describing his father William's achievement in the field of
railway locomotive engineering (see Burnhopeside Hall). Pews and many
furnishings by Thompson of Masham. Chancel stalls have traceried backs and
foliage-carved misericords; C17 communion rail with widely-spaced turned
balusters supporting grip rail.
South porch contains Roman altar of high quality, to goddess Garmangabis, and
medieval cross-slabs. Other medieval cross slabs reported to be in tower.
Sources: W. Fordyce, The History and Antiquities of the County Palantine of
Durham, Vol. II, 646-51; J.W. Fawcett, The Parish Registers of All Saints'
Church, Lanchester, Satley 1909; P.F. Ryder, The Medieval Cross Slab Grave
Cover in County Durham, Durham 1985, 102-3.
Listing NGR: NZ1676247392
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings