This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.0059 / 55°0'21"N
Longitude: -1.7009 / 1°42'3"W
OS Eastings: 419231
OS Northings: 567963
OS Grid: NZ192679
Mapcode National: GBR JBKK.KB
Mapcode Global: WHC3H.VF7S
Plus Code: 9C7W274X+8M
Entry Name: Whorlton Grange
Listing Date: 30 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1186151
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304378
Location: Woolsington, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE5
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Civil Parish: Woolsington
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Whorlton St John
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 16 NE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE B6324 north side off
7/630 Whorlton Grange
Planned range of farm buildings, now workshops and storage. Mid C19 (surveyed in
1849 and in situ by 1860) by John Green, for the Duke of Northumberland. Coursed
squared sandstone with ashlar quoins and dressings; Scottish slate roof.
U-shaped range with centre back wing and extruded engine house. Two storeys,
except for 1-storey stables forming part of right wing. Central barn range of
11 bays with 5 segmental-arched, rebated cart doors below, and stop-chamfered
boarded openings above, including central loft door. Side wings are more irregular
and have doors and other openings, mostly boarded, in stop-chamfered reveals.
Openings on external faces similar except for 3 wide and 1 narrow modern windows
inserted in outer face of left range. Fairly low-pitched roofs; all gable ends
coped, with down-curved kneelers. Rear elevation shows pentice to left, projecting
central wing and engine house to right. Behind this a tall square chimney of 2
stages with band, quoins, frieze, cornice and blocking course. Interior shows
2 massive stone arches between engine house and barn; plain roof trusses with
principals set into masonry, raised ties and collar beams. Other fittings mostly
Various small extensions of a temporary nature into farmyard not of interest. One-
storey detached left range of shelter sheds, now offices, is too much altered to
be of special interest.
There is no farmhouse. Whorlton Grange was formed by amalgamation and is included
as an imposing example of a planned, mechanised farm.
Listing NGR: NZ1923167963
Other nearby listed buildings