History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

A Grade I Listed Building in Upper Tysoe, Warwickshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.0966 / 52°5'47"N

Longitude: -1.5037 / 1°30'13"W

OS Eastings: 434096

OS Northings: 244370

OS Grid: SP340443

Mapcode National: GBR 6QW.JNH

Mapcode Global: VHBYH.WKFL

Plus Code: 9C4W3FWW+MG

Entry Name: Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Listing Date: 13 October 1966

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1186160

English Heritage Legacy ID: 307328

Location: Tysoe, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Tysoe

Built-Up Area: Upper Tysoe

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Tysoe Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


SP3544 (West side)
Middle Tysoe
17/88 Church of the Assumption of
13/10/66 the Blessed Virgin Mary


Church. Late C11 origins, with late C12, C13, C14 and C15 alterations and
additions. Restored 1854 by Gilbert Scott. Squared, coursed ironstone. Parapeted
roofs. Chancel, nave with clerestory, north and south aisles and west tower.
Chancel of 2 bays with offset buttresses, plinth and parapet. To east a 5-light
cusped C15 window within hollow chamfered surround. 2 further 3-light cusped
windows to south, and one to north, with hollow chamfered surrounds. To north a
C19 vestry with 2 reticulated windows and plank door within pointed arch. Nave
of 4 bays with pierced quatrefoil parapet to south, wavy line to north. Corbel
table below of carved animal heads. Pinnacles with cusped panels and crockets.
Aisles have plinth, coped parapet, offset diagonal buttresses and gargoyles to
north. To centre of south aisle a plank door within late C12 round headed arch
of 2 orders of shafts with rings, and water-leaf capitals with lozenge and
nailhead mouldings in the arch. Above an Agnus Dei panel in bas relief with
carved corbel to either side, that to right a beakhead. C15 porch with double
chamfered arch and moulded imposts. Double plank doors. To left of door a C20
two-light window. To right a C14 three-light reticulated window with hood mould
and label stops. To far right a C15 three-light square-headed window with cusped
lights, hood mould and carved label stops. To north aisle a plank door within
moulded, pointed arch with hood mould and label stops. To left and right of
porch a C14 three-light reticulated window. To far left a three-light window of
intersecting tracery. Windows have hood moulds and label stops. To west of north
aisle a single round-headed light. Renewed 2-light reticulated window with hood
mould and label stops to west of south aisle. Clerestory has eight C14
square-headed 2-light windows to north and south of differing cusped tracery.
All have dropped hood moulds and label stops. To east gable end a C17 sanctus
bell turret. West tower of 4 offset stages with plinth, buttresses and
battlemented parapet with pinnacles. To south a blocked round-headed arch and
round-headed light to west. To third stage a late C12 corbel table, with a small
single light below to north and south. Fourth stage has 2-light cusped bell
chamber openings wiht hood moulds and label stops. Cusped panels to each corner,
and gargoyles below parapet. Interior: C15 many-moulded chancel arch. Nave
arcade of 4 bays. To south C12 round piers with scalloped and round capitals on
square abaci. Responds to east and west. 2 blocked C11 openings above. North
arcade has C15 octagonal piers with double-chamfered arches and responds, that
to east with small cusped piscina. Pointed doorway to north. C15
triple-chamfered tower arch, now blocked. Roofs mostly C15, partly restored.
Nave and aisle roofs are supported on C15 carved corbel heads. In chancel a tomb
to William Clarke, died 1618. In north aisle wall a C12 tomb in C14 cusped ogee
recess, with finial. In east wall of south aisle a memorial tablet to Ralph
Wilcox, died 1659. In north aisle wall a brass to Thomas Mastrupe, dated 1463.
In east wall of north aisle brasses to the Browne family, dated 1598 and 1611. A
tablet in porch, dated 1662. 2 further C17 tablets in external porch wall. In
nave a late C14 octagonal stone font with reliefs of the Virgin and Child, the
Baptism of Christ and various saints in crocketed ogee gables.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.435-6; V.C.H.: pp177-181).

Listing NGR: SP3414844407

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.