History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade I Listed Building in Hatfield Broad Oak, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8268 / 51°49'36"N

Longitude: 0.2431 / 0°14'35"E

OS Eastings: 554672

OS Northings: 216625

OS Grid: TL546166

Mapcode National: GBR MFF.G7W

Mapcode Global: VHHM3.5BCW

Plus Code: 9F32R6GV+P6

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 20 February 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1186272

English Heritage Legacy ID: 353622

Location: Hatfield Broad Oak, Uttlesford, Essex, CM22

County: Essex

Civil Parish: Hatfield Broad Oak

Built-Up Area: Hatfield Broad Oak

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Hatfield Broad Oak St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Hatfield Heath



6/68 Church of St. Mary the
20/02/67 Virgin


Parish church, former western part of Benedictine Priory. Founded by Aubrey de
Vere about 1135. The walls are mostly of flint rubble with some brickwork and
old ashlar. Dressings are of Barnack limestone and clunch. Roofs are low
pitched, gabled and lead covered. Consists of west tower, vestry, south porch
and rectangular block containing aisled nave, north and south chapels and
library enclosing short chancel. The C15 west tower is of 4 stages with moulded
plinth and embattled crow-stepped parapet. The tower arch is early C15 and of 2
moulded orders with semi-octagonal shafts with moulded capitals. The second
stage has a single light window with a trefoiled head in the north, south and
west walls. The west wall also has a single light C16 window. Each face of the
third stage has 2 light windows with 4 centre heads and moulded labels. The
bell chamber has C15 windows in each face, each of two 4 centred lights in 2
tiers and with square heads and labels. The north vestry is of Cl7 red
brickwork with black headers and a gabled pegtile roof. The south porch is C15
with embattled parapet and crocketed pinacles at the angles. The 2-centred
arched door has attached side shafts with moulded capitals and blank shields in
the spandrels. The side walls each have a 3 light window. The nave has C14
north and south arcades each of 4 bays with fine label stops with carved heads.
The clerestorey has 5 late C14 windows. The north aisle has 4 windows, 2 of the
C15, one modern and one C14 much restored. The roof is of the late C14 with
curved braces springing from corbels carved with angels. The south side also
has 4 windows in its long wall, largely modern but with earlier fragments. At
the east end is a semi-octagonal stair tower for the rood loft access. The
south door arch is of the late C14 and of 2 moulded orders with a probable C15
pair of doors in-situ. The west wall has a late C14 repaired window matching
one on the west wall of the north aisle. The aisle roof is of the late C14 and
that over the nave of 1843. The chancel has a modern east window and roof, but
with C15 carved angels and the north and south walls have modified C14 arches.
The north chapel has 2 late C15 windows in its north wall and, externally, 2
arches of a blank arcade. The south chapel has a C15 window and modern door in
its east wall. In the south wall is a large 5 light C15 window. The west arch
is uniform with that of the north chapel. In the south east corner is the
library of 1708 with 300 volumes of the C15-C17. Externally evidence remains
for the original cruciform plan form of the Priory church. The surviving
western piers of the crossing have demi-shafts and one water leaf capital of
c.1175 and the foundations of the rest of the east end were exposed in the late
C19. In the chancel is an early C18 oak reredos, early C18 communion rail with
carved and twisted balusters and some old marble and encaustic tile flooring.
In the nave, an elaborate C18 brass candlelabra, a c.1400 kneeling oak figure
and one stained glass window by Hardman of 1893. Stone late C13 effigy on floor
of chancel, said to be of Robert de Vere, third Earl of Oxford. Five C17 floor
slab memorials with elaborate lettering. Wall monuments to Sir John
Barrington, Bart 1691, to Sir Charles Barrington 1788 by J.F. Moore and Lady
Ibbetson 1816 by Flaxman. Neo-classical wall monuments to William Selwint of
Down Hall and Stanes Chamberlayne 1782. In the north chapel, a C15 oak screen
or parclose skillfully restored. Royal arms above south door and painted Parish
Poor board. Included for architectural, historical, landscape and townscape
importance. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL5467216625

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.