This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8413 / 51°50'28"N
Longitude: -2.473 / 2°28'22"W
OS Eastings: 367511
OS Northings: 215958
OS Grid: SO675159
Mapcode National: GBR FX.V16J
Mapcode Global: VH86S.3Z0C
Entry Name: Mill at Gun's Mills
Listing Date: 23 September 1955
Last Amended: 4 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1186479
English Heritage Legacy ID: 354139
Location: Littledean, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL17
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Littledean
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Mitcheldean St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 61 NE LITTLEDEAN
Mill at Gun's Mills
6/67 (formerly Listed as Barn at Gunn's
Mills, East Dean Parish)
Formerly blast-furnace, later paper mill, now unused. 1682/3 (on
iron lintels), mid C18. Coursed, squared rubble to furnace and
blowing chamber, ashlar dressings and corrugated-iron roof to
latter; upper building part rubble stone, part timber-framed, with
slate roof. 'L' plan, pivoted on furnace, wings at different
levels. Square blast-furnace at lower level, with tapering recess
in main face, roof sloping back to main wall line, with 2 iron
lintels. Doors at ground floor and in sloping face above. This
recess repeated on left return, in blowing chamber, with dated
lintels. Inside square chamber with sloping walls above 2m.
Narrow top now covered by stone slab in floor of room above.
Blowing chamber on left with opening against furnace, then 2
windows, unclosed: upper part of wall rebuilt in concrete block,
(originally 2 floors). Behind pit, 7.5m long for overshot water-
wheel: small arched recess in back wall. Space in front of
furnace and blowing chamber was casting floor. Upper level at
right-angles; timber-framed over furnace, 3-bays, built as paper
mill. Wattle and daub infill to gable wall, open or glazed sides
in 2 panels per bay: partition to stone section beyond, 3 bays,
with floor over at eaves level. Trusses queen strut. Stone
section 2 large openings in gable, one in side leading to 4-bay
wing. Furnace originally built 1628, probably destroyed 1650;
rebuilt 1682/3. Converted to papermill by 1743, and so used to at
least 1900: furnace became stairs. Mill pond lay beyond house
now filled in. Considered to be 'best remaining furnace of
the earliest phase of British blast-furnace practice'. (C. Hart,
The Industrial History of Dean, 1971, p. 43, 70, 379).
Listing NGR: SO6751115958
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings